• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Started Reloading

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
I have 2 reloading presses and I don't know how to use either. However, I want to start gathering the needed equipment to use whichever one is better for loading 147 grain 9mm. Also, I'm really hoping without having to purchase a press, it will help get my shooting costs down quicker if I enjoy doing it in my free time. The reason for trying to figure out what I'm missing is that there are plenty of people in my family and friends that load and I plan on learning everything I can before I attempt to load anything, but if I can start piecing together everything I need it will help soften the blow on my wallet... Looks like I have a MEC 600 JR with just the items in the picture and the other press appears to be a Lee Progressive 1000, also looks like I have some 44 mag dies.
20160925_205709.jpg 20160925_211530.jpg

Looks like you have a good start with the Lee. Appears to be the powder charge attached to the turret die.

That's different than ones I've seen, does it have a charging bar or the Lee discs?

Don't see the primer feeder but the pics fuzzy. So you'll need to get that or a hand primer feed.

What are you going to load?
I'd start with straight wall pistol before doing anything that's tapered or bottle necked.

Looks like you have a good start with the Lee. Appears to be the powder charge attached to the turret die.

That's different than ones I've seen, does it have a charging bar or the Lee discs?

Don't see the primer feeder but the pics fuzzy. So you'll need to get that or a hand primer feed.

What are you going to load?
I'd start with straight wall pistol before doing anything that's tapered or bottle necked.
I'll find out about the charging bar or the Lee discs and the primer feed. I mainly want to load 9mm to start with. It is by far the majority of what I shoot.

If you are just starting out, you would do well to just use that press as a single stage press until you get comfortable with reloading.

Get a loading tray and work 50 cases at a time. It is way too easy to mess up with trying to save time with anything more than one step at a time.

Start off with a single stage and after your first couple hundred successful rounds, you'l be kicking yourself that you didn't go ahead and learn on a progressive. IMO, a lee turret press is the absolute best press you can learn the hobby on. It can function as a single stage till you get your feet wet. Then when you get comfortable, you can crank out a round ever 4 pulls of the handle. Just dont worry about the extras for that press right yet, as they may become annoying to the point of driving you away from the hobby (case feeders, bullet feeders, etc). if you ever decide to step up to a fully progressive press (one pull, one round), just make sure you shoot enough to warrant to transition. I was making good ammo with my Lee turret and it was fast enough that i never went without ammo. But like everything, I wanted the next "best thing" so i found a used dillion on craigslist. Don't get me wrong, it's a beast but no way i'll ever shoot as much as this thing can crank out. I havnt reloaded in over a year cause when i got it, after about a week, every empty case (and there was thousands) in 9, 45, 38/357 was reloaded.

Regarding the press for reloading shotgun shells - You can learn the process of reloading, but unless it's a .410 or 28 gauge press you won't save any money. Lead shot is very high now and it's cheaper to just buy the 100 packs at Walmart. You could save money on the other gauges if you're loading for hunting. Mine sits idle.

Just do one round at a time on the progressive press until you understand what's going on. As said earlier straight walled pistol, those 9's you want to make, would be a good place to start.

You do save money, unless you start shooting twice as much like most of us. :becky:

I'll find out about the charging bar or the Lee discs and the primer feed. I mainly want to load 9mm to start with. It is by far the majority of what I shoot.

Either way on charging the case works, but the charge bar is much faster and more repeatable in my experience, depending on the type of powder.

I assumed that was a turret press, but now it looks like a progressive, which means the bottom rotates rather than the top.
Either way, might be better off using it in a single stage manner, which will make it a one function manually rotating press and perform a single function on multiple cases, starting with deprime and resize.

9mm is a good first choice

Well I may be old school or just plain wield but I started out reloading on a Lee anniversary edtition single stage press back more years ago than I care to remember, and to this day it is still my go too press. I ought a progressive several years ago and only use it when I got a lot of rounds to load in a short amount of time.
I usually reload with the single stage mainly because of, as already stated, there is so much going on with each up / down stroke on the progressive. I mainly load 9mm, 38, 357 magnum, 380, 30-0-6 and when my Grandson wants some, 243 for him.
No matter which way you go, it sounds like you got a great plan laid out and you're going to gain a great hobby that is relaxing, relieves stress and is fun. Just stay focused while reloading and don't forget to double check.

Back
Top Bottom