• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting started

GaCracker63

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   1
Reaction score
I told my wife when she ask what I wanted for Christmas I want the basement cleaned up and a reloading press kit. Well finished basement and built me a reloading bench yesterday. Now I have to order a reloading press, dies, and components. I am thinking I will go with Hornady single stage kit from all I have read its that or Dillion, found some deals on Hornady. Can't wait to get started I'm sure I will be bugging the crap out of all of you on here with all kinds of stupid questions.
Post Script - I will try and post a pic of my bench for Idea's latter today.

I too have been studying a reloading setup and I think I am down to Hornady and RCBS Pro. A bunch of folks have mentioned to me their love of the Hornady kits. I'd love to see pics of your bench.

got pics on my phone my camera batterys are dead got to go to store and get some i had some 2x4s bought other stuff at lowes spent 200 bucks plenty of storage and very sturdy i can tex you pic if want or ill put picks on here later today just pm me with phone number if you want me to tex pics.

If you're getting started, learn the basics on a good single stage or manual advance turret press. I wouldn't consider a progressive until you have the basics down to a science. Even when you do get it down pat, you'll still need the single stage or turret for short runs and case prep. I prefer a press without the cam over feature, other than that difference, most brands are more than adequate for the task.

I just ordered a lee 50th aniv. kit 119.00 and 45acp and 223 dies, i need to know what powder to use and dies to order if anyone can help don't want to order stuff i don't need. I'm also online looking for best price on bullets and brass. Thanks for any help.

If you're getting started, learn the basics on a good single stage or manual advance turret press. I wouldn't consider a progressive until you have the basics down to a science. Even when you do get it down pat, you'll still need the single stage or turret for short runs and case prep. I prefer a press without the cam over feature, other than that difference, most brands are more than adequate for the task.

This^^^^^

The faster you load the more you'll screw up until you get everything figured out.

After you get into reloading I suggest you go for the Dillion progressive model of reloaders, which ever one fits your need. I've had a few of the others and my Dillon holds up better and customer service is great.

My first reloading rig was (still is) a Lee Classic 4-hole turret. For the type of reloading I do (only .38/.357), it's a nice budget-conscious set up. The only major upgrade I have done is buying a nice, uber-sensitive digital scale that has helped speed up my loading ever so slightly. But I have been reloading a while, so I can go slightly faster than I could when I started without sacrificing consistency and safety.

I agree with 19 Kilo...stay away from full progressive set-ups at first. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is a great way to learn to reload.

Back
Top Bottom