• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting the most out of the C308

wsbrown

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
300   0
Reaction score
I traded into a Century C308 a few months back. I checked the bolt gap and it was at the minimum side of spec, so I replaced the rollers. That brought bolt gap to perfectly in spec. Finally got around to shooting it and it would not run at all, failure to extract nearly every round. I checked the extractor and the spring was toast. Still had FTE, so I looked at the ejector and it was well worn and was barely hitting the rim of the case. I ordered an entire HK trigger pack which has the ejector in it, plus it is an HK ejector which is dimensional different from a CETME, so should I ever need to replace it again, the more available and better quality HK will drop right in. Another plus, the trigger on the HK pack is amazing compared to the Spanish surplus garbage.

All that being said, on to the point of the thread. I now have a gun that runs 100%, and in my opinion I have just as good a rifle as a PTR GI for a lot less money. You can buy a C308 for ~$600 give or take, they have been on sale recently for much less. The barrel and receiver are made by PTR. I left the bolt and carrier as is, it is a chunk of metal and not prone to wear or give issues. Plus firing pins, springs, and misc small parts are mega cheap and easy to replace. You don't have to be a gunsmith to service this rifle, I changed all of the parts with small hand tools.

So, I spent ~$150 on all the parts I listed above from HKParts.net and have essentially a new PTR upper with an all German lower. Seems like a good value in a robust 308 battle rifle.

All those clones are great 308 rifles with a little
maintence which every gun needs. ENJOY. .

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

This. Like all things, especially Century builds, the first gen builds had problems. However, these have been cleared up. The cetme/C308's are worth the $500 bucks. Anything more, pay the $300 extra and get a PTR. I'm waiting to buy another when they hit $400.

I've wanted one of these. I've had 3 PTRs and always trade them off for some stupid reason. Now that Atlantic has the new ones with the paddle mag release I want another one.

Back
Top Bottom