• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GHB contents

Survivor Johnny

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
just to clear the air..

A BOB (bug out bag) or INCH bag (I'm Never Coming Home bag) and a GHB (get home bag) are very different

A BOB is to get you out of an area that's not safe and help get you to an area that is

An INCH bag is to get you out of an area that's not safe, to keep you alive and help you start a new life when you find a place to start over

A GHB is to get you home.
In snowpocalypse people sheltered in their vehicles overnight and needed food, water and warmth
--sadly many did not have these "comforts"--
Everyone should pack their bags according to thier personal needs
If you will be traveling 5 miles plan for bad weather and have good walking shoes
Traveling 50 miles, plan to sleep on the way home and you may not have access to clean water so you would also need a filter that's not necessary for a 5 mile hike

You can use the Rule of 3s to make your bag. This will help you prioritize the threats you face
You can survive up to:
3 minutes without security or air
An armed attacker (or wild pig in the woods) or being in a smoke filled building
3 hours of exposure
You can get hypothermia in 70* temperatures if you are wet and can't dry off and warm up
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

We tend to romanticize a TEOTWAWKI or WOROL situation but we are far more likely to face a natural event like a bad storm

TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) example EMP or severe solar flare
WOROL (With Out Rule Of Law) example starting day 3 of Hurricane Katrina

So your GHB doesn't need a sleeping bag (or wool blanket) if you stay close to home but it's a good idea to have a tarp and blanket if your 50 miles away. You don't want to stop and cook on the way home if your trying to hurry so energy bars are better than Mountain Home packs
If your going 5 miles you need a bottle of water but if your going 50 you need a way to refill with clean water

I hope this helps

Last edited:
---on average people walk at 2.72 MPH on flat terrain---
---a 7-10 mile hike is about all someone who doesn't exercise can handle-
---for the purpose of this discussion we are assuming that members of this forum EDC some type of personal defense weapon---

Basic short range kit up to 5 hours of travel (in no particular order)

Flashlight- help prevent injury traveling in dark
Rain gear (seasonally targeted)- avoid hypothermia
Good walking shoes (or hiking boots)- just something better than slick bottom office shoes
Water- (just a 20oz bottle) you won't die from walking 5 or 10 miles without water but it's a moral booster
A good sheath knife -just because you never know
A good multi-tool -should be an EDC item
Toilet paper (1/2 roll flattened) or a good handful of McDonalds napkins in a ziplock. It's like a parachute. You may not need it but if you do... Some also carry baby wipes and after laughing at them I now agree. It doesn't take long to feel "not to fresh" and nobody wants to walk a long way with swamp butt
A basic first aide kit -for you or other along your route.

Basic Intermediate range up to 12-15 hours (add to short range)
This assumes that as you get nearer to home you will be more motivated to complete the trip without an overnight rest

Extended light - back up batteries in case you walk thru the night
Extended water- maybe adding a second bottle
Warmth- maybe add a lighter and a sterno for a small fire to warm your hands while you take a break from walking and eat a snack. When you cool off start walking again and assume you will generate heat from walking, at least a few hours would be after dark with cooler temperatures
Food (some snack or energy bars)- this is more for moral as you take rest breaks. High moral is very important

Basic long range more than 1 day of travel including overnight resting
(Add to previous kits)
Over night kit - recommend hammock/tarp (with cordage) over a tent as you can not have a fire in a tent
Fire kit (you should practice and be familiar with the contents)
Hatchet or heavy machete - process fire wood/ shelter poles and other camp items as needed
Basic cook kit/food - it is a real moral booster to fiddle with a fire and make a warm meal. Dehydrated foods are recommended for weight savings
Wool blanket or sleeping bag (wool will still retain heat even when wet)
Extra socks to change or layer while sleeping
Water filter -you may not have access to tap water but you can't walk a mile in Georgia without seeing a stream or pond. Sayer filter over a life straw. With a lifestraw you have to suck the water up and spit it into your canteen (Johnny doesn't likey, lol). There are better options like a Katadyne that are far more expensive but also are superior

Last edited:
So you'd choose a Sawyer mini filter over a lifestraw? Not being confrontational at all as I've already purchased my sawyer mini filter kit, actually 4 of them... Just wanted to clear that up. Very good info which we've come to expect from SJ.

So you'd choose a Sawyer mini filter over a lifestraw? Not being confrontational at all as I've already purchased my sawyer mini filter kit, actually 4 of them... Just wanted to clear that up. Very good info which we've come to expect from SJ.

Yes sir. At a survival gear testing meat-up we did, a life straw was pulled out and used. It seamed that it was hard to suck the water thru but the real deal breaker for me was that to fill a canteen the only way was to suck up water into your mouth and spit it into your canteen. As opposed to doing a siphon from a water bag in a tree with a frontier straw (or the not on the market yet) Sawyer that you squeeze a collapsable water bag squirting the filtered water into your canteen. I pick Sawyer over Lifestraw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom