• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GHB contents

With a lifestraw you have to suck the water up and spit it into your canteen (Johnny doesn't likey, lol). There are better options like a Katadyne that are far more expensive but also are superior[/QUOTE]

Fill the canteen with untreated water then use the lifestraw when drinking.I've seen this several times while backpacking. katadyn filter is heavy and bulky. I'd consider micropur tabs or similar.

What about chemical purification or one of those elect/salt tablet doo hickey's ?
Or even those uv things I have heard about.

Fill the canteen with untreated water then use the lifestraw when drinking.I've seen this several times while backpacking. katadyn filter is heavy and bulky. I'd consider micropur tabs or similar.

You both have valid suggestions and points. I have seen people that filter with a bandana and have bleach in an empty visine bottle that they treat the water with as well. There are many angles of attack to use and what feels best to you is what you should do because you are comfortable with it.
A "frontier straw" only does 20 gallons but it's only the size of a AA battery. They are cheap and 20 gallons is enough for a week or 2. I doubt it weighs more than 1oz but it might weigh 2

Last edited:
My get home bag that rides in my truck... Any suggestions or comments welcome.

031.jpg

What about chemical purification or one of those elect/salt tablet doo hickey's ?
Or even those uv things I have heard about.

Good comment.

I have seen the salt thing and UV methods in action.
Both seemed to work, if you have decent quality water to purify.
Any particulates in the water interfere with both methods, and they are totally reliant on batteries.

My sense is that they are both high-dollar techno solutions to a simple problem.
The kind of things that fail at critical moments.

I prefer a method that includes a charcoal element that will also filter heavy metals and organics like pesticides/feces.

Back
Top Bottom