• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Giving a gun to relative out of state?

Dirty Bird

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
14   0
Reaction score
What's the procedure for giving or even trading a firearm to someone out of state. I'm currently a Georgia resident but am from Virginia. Thought about giving my father a long gun but didn't exactly know the legal stuff that would come with it.

The transfer will have to go through a FFL.

Only distinction is that a long gun can go through a FFL in the state of residence of either party, but a pistol has to go through a FFL in the state of residence of the new owner.

The transfer fee can be between $0.00 and $30.00. The potential downside just doesn't justify cheaping out and trying to walk the edge.

Are you mailing it? Or are you going to hand it to him? If you're mailing it, I'd either read the laws for that state or just be safe and go through an FFL. If I were handing it to him, I believe I'd just give it to him.

But that's just me.

Already looked into this as I have family in Va. Hand it to him in person and no problems.

Yes indeedy do.

Your choice, do it the ODT way, or the legal way.

Nothing says "I love you" like involving your father in a federal felony.

However, if you want to give a firearm to someone who lives in another state, you are required to go through an FFL. Transfers between non-FFL residents of different states cannot be done any other way. Above all, make sure to consult all applicable state laws but reviewing the NRA-ILA website before you give someone a firearm.
https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/4/buying-and-selling-a-firearm-giving-someone-a-gun/

But maybe you have a hard on for the NRA.

How about the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF)

Remember, you can never transfer a firearm directly to another person who is a resident of a different state. In that case, you must transfer the firearm through a licensed retailer in the state where the person receiving the gift resides https://www.nssf.org/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

But wait, there's more, what does the Big Cheese, the head Enchilada say?

An unlicensed individual is prohibited from directly transferring a firearm to a person residing in another State. Regardless of the purpose of the transfer (e.g. gift, trade, loan, sale, ownership, etc.), this restriction applies to all types of firearms
https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

So carry on,

Are you mailing it? Or are you going to hand it to him? If you're mailing it, I'd either read the laws for that state or just be safe and go through an FFL. If I were handing it to him, I believe I'd just give it to him.

But that's just me.
I'm handing it to him. No shipping nothing illegal.

You mean you want to return the gun your father loaned you?....
No like I purchased a gun here and I'm considering giving it to him in person as a Christmas gift.

Back
Top Bottom