• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glitzy Daniel Defense

Ronaldo Crespin

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
34   0
Reaction score
I thought I was just ordering a part for an AR build. But DD has pleasantly surprised me. I guess they are trying to make me feel good about having spent $300 on just one piece of the puzzle and it actually worked. I am sure I'm just making a big deal over nothing but I just never expected to see a barrel come in a box that looks like one of their high priced rifles would come in. But, sadly, I have to admit that I like it. And, I feel much better about my purchase now.

Of course, that is not all there is to the story... I thought that I was purchasing a chrome lined S2W barrel but that was not to be the case. I have learned a little history about DD, in that they used to make a lot of Nitride barrels but only recently started chrome lining them (exactly when I did not find out) and my barrel is actually a Nitride S2W one. After all of the reading that I have done, I am even more thrilled that I stumbled on a company (PK Firearms) selling their older barrels. I am pretty sure some of you guys will say "well why did you buy that caliber" but it is exactly what I wanted.

IMHO, I now have one of the best made barrels with the best possible metal coating, in present times.

I added the barrel nut, triangle cap and bird cage, it didn't come with those but it did come with a factory pinned f-marked sight base. 16" midlength gas. :D:D:D

DSCF1165.JPG

DSCF1167.JPG

DSCF1162.JPG

Many officionados claim that chrome plating interferes with accuracy and is not as corrosion resistant as a salt bath nitride. The chrome simply covers or plates the metal surface where the nitride penetrates and changes the surface of the metal.

On a microscopic level the chrome lining has waves in it, thus creating a slight wobble in the projectile causing decreased accuracy! I read this somewhere over the years.

Just a note about DD shipping packages. They ship there rifles in a large sturdy box that has a
hard plastic rifle case inside with foam lining. And yes it is lockable also.
Mike

Reactions: VME
I think I have decided to go with a semi - retro look. I will probably change my mind in about a month, but whatever, this is for now.

Just a little note: This rifle weighs in right at 10 lbs. with a fully loaded 25rd PRI mag. I am thinking about scoping out some carbon fiber furniture.

DSCF1179 (2).JPG

DSCF1193 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom