• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock’s without Smiley’s

Smilies are a badge of honor. Smilies are good. Smilies mean happiness is a warm gun. Seriously though, I think real wear is sexy. Why pay for battleworn? Just shoot it, holster and unholster/practice the draw and just run it like you mean it.

How many rounds do you think have been through this Gen 4 G17 based on the "smiley"?

DSC03392.JPG

The answer is is just shy of 13,000....12,750 to be exact. I have seen Glocks with less than a 1000 rounds with a much more pronounced smile. Why the variance? I don't have a clue. Judging round count based on barrel/slide lockup wear is a very inexact science.

How many rounds do you think have been through this Gen 4 G17 based on the "smiley"?

View attachment 1912389

The answer is is just shy of 13,000....12,750 to be exact. I have seen Glocks with less than a 1000 rounds with a much more pronounced smile. Why the variance? I don't have a clue. Judging round count based on barrel/slide lockup wear is a very inexact science.

Hey Brother! Great point about barrel wear, and please do not take my post as a slam against Glock’s (if’n You did!).

I own several Glock’s, they are outstanding weapons, and I have seen the same as you are pointing out, although not in the 13,000 round count range like you. It just seems as one earlier comment pointed out that the mention of no “smiley’s” seems to artificially add to the price point of the weapon being sold.

I have never seen a weapon with normal barrel wear from shooting perform sub par because of it, rather they have been above average as they have been shot to that sweet spot through continuous use and meticulous maintenance and care. Of course the operator has the final effect on the accuracy of the weapon!

Thanks for your post Brother!

Marc

25k through G 19 faint smile just starting to form

Same here. My G19's don't have nearly as many rounds fired as yours, but one of them has 5k, easily, and no smiley to speak of.

None of my Glocks have ever had noticeable smileys, and I shoot them a lot. I always add a touch of lube to the top of the barrel, so maybe this prevents it...?

image.jpg

From what I have heard and also read in posts is the tolerances on the Gen5 with the marksman barrel are much tighter than previous generation models, and the coating on the marksman barrels for Gen5 models may also be different.

Like you, I have not seen barrel wear on the Gen3 and Gen4 models as much, although I do have a Gen4 17 (see attached pic) I picked up used that is in full laughter (borrowing a phrase from an earlier post that cracked me up!!!). I also use Lucas Gun oil on the barrel and frame opening for the barrel when cleaning my weapons.

Thanks!

Marc

View attachment 1912672
From what I have heard and also read in posts is the tolerances on the Gen5 with the marksman barrel are much tighter than previous generation models, and the coating on the marksman barrels for Gen5 models may also be different.

Like you, I have not seen barrel wear on the Gen3 and Gen4 models as much, although I do have a Gen4 17 (see attached pic) I picked up used that is in full laughter (borrowing a phrase from an earlier post that cracked me up!!!). I also use Lucas Gun oil on the barrel and frame opening for the barrel when cleaning my weapons.

Thanks!

Marc
I have a proprietary way and type of lubricant that will prevent a smiley or at least slow wear significantly and it works with tight or loose tolerance. And will keep it running in high temp and as low as 20 deg ( haven’t tested it any lower) part one is on market part two is from a NASA not marketed..

Hey Brother! Great point about barrel wear, and please do not take my post as a slam against Glock’s (if’n You did!).

I own several Glock’s, they are outstanding weapons, and I have seen the same as you are pointing out, although not in the 13,000 round count range like you. It just seems as one earlier comment pointed out that the mention of no “smiley’s” seems to artificially add to the price point of the weapon being sold.

I have never seen a weapon with normal barrel wear from shooting perform sub par because of it, rather they have been above average as they have been shot to that sweet spot through continuous use and meticulous maintenance and care. Of course the operator has the final effect on the accuracy of the weapon!

Thanks for your post Brother!

Marc
I didn’t take that way at all. I was just pointing out with an actual picture that I agree with you 100%, referencing external barrel/slide wear when it comes to Glocks as some indicator of actual round count/use is pretty useless and not near the measuring stick some think it is. A few years ago, 2012 to be exact, I personally inspected a couple hundred of new in the box, never issued before, Gen 4 Glock 17/19s. Over the next 5 years I did an annual inspection of every single one again. One of the things that struck me was the large variance in barrel/slide lash up wear at both the slide/muzzle and slide/hood interface. It was all over the board, with no real tie to round count. The one thing they did have in common was they functioned 100% and there accuracy was limited by the man shooting them and pretty much nothing else.

Great thread and great point you made brother! I am sure it will be an eye opener for many that have wondered what’s the deal the the “smiley” thing.

Back
Top Bottom