• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 42 mods by professionals & EDC users

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
We are seeing a lot of G-42's coming through classes. Just yesterday I met with a group of men I do business with who had just bought some 42's & were pocket carrying them. While I'm not a fan of pocket carry I understand & accept many people do & agree it is faster to get into use than running home or to ones vehicle.
I must say though that a good pocket holster that covers the trigger is very important for any pocketgun.

While they usually work fine right out of the box here are some recommended mods. that many including myself feel enhances the guns useability.
As a warning.... for any firearm intended for use in self-defense it is ABSOLUTELY recommended to test any & all mods. for 100% reliability before relying on them for your protection.

Ghost Edge connector & ".25 polish job" :
I received some criticism on YouTube when I stated that the factory trigger was somewhere around 9 lbs.
Turns out I was right. It is usually in the 8 to 9 lb. range which interferes with both speed & accuracy.
Some will say they don't want a lighter trigger in a pocket gun.
That's fine if it's your preference. Many Instructors including myself feel that the use of a pocket holster and adherence to the 4 safety rules is what makes the use of a firearm safe... not heavy triggers or manual safeties.
The Ghost Edge connector along with the ".25 polish job" provides a trigger press somewhere in the 5 to 6 lb. range that is smooth, crisp, & is a much better "interface" between the shooter & the pistol.... enabling better accuracy & speed.

Ameriglo Protector sights: Replacing the horrible factory sights with either the Ameriglo Protector, Spartan, or Trijicon HDs greatly improve the sight picture & promote better accuracy along with the ability to see ones sight in low light conditions. Most any aftermarket night sights or even the Glock O.E.M. sights are an improvement over the plastic ones.

Bicycle inner tube grip: Smaller guns can be difficult to grasp & operate since there is reduced surface area to work with. Instead of installing a rubber grip that adds too much thickness defeating one of the main advantages of a smaller gun, a small section turn of bicycle inner tube provides a non-skid grip that does not shift during use, allows solid contact even in wet or cold conditions, reduces felt recoil a bit, wears quite well, blends in colorwise, & can usually be had for free.
Many people report favorably on the Talon Grips too.

"Mag-Guts" magazine spring & follower replacement parts:
These parts allow the addition of an extra round to the factory mag. w/o adding additional bulk. So far in classes we have about 400 rds. through mags. with this mod. w/o any issues.
We have also added the Pearce +1 finger rest floorplates which provides 8 rounds in a single mag. w/ only a small increase in mag. length large enough to accommodate the pinky of an avg. shooters hand.
Again.... so far in classes no issues of any kind.

Some people may want to consider the Tango down extended slidelock.
If so, be sure to test that during use ones hand does not inadvertently cause the slide to unintentionally lock back during firing.

These are the simple mods. we have added so far to our class guns.
Again, the gun is fine out of the box, but this post is meant to share with you some enhancements that we have had success with optimizing the G-42 pistol.

See pics. below:

Attachments

• 20151110_233412-1.jpg
    20151110_233412-1.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20151111_191425-1.jpg
    20151111_191425-1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20151121_092133-1.jpg
    20151121_092133-1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20151111_191442.jpg
    20151111_191442.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Here is a 9 shot group that was shot in class at 6 yards from a gun with the improved trigger & Ameriglo sights.
The sights were drifted a bit to the right afterwards but it shows the accuracy potential of the gun... minus the two fliers of course.

Attachments

• 20151105_164703.jpg
    20151105_164703.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 119
I agree 100%. Great choice in the mods listed. I have exact same ones on my 42. Now I just wish Magguts would come out with kit for my 43 to add to the pierce +1.

Excellent write up PM. I do very similar mods to most of my Glocks, minus the grip mod, but I do find the G42/43 triggers to be extremely heavy/rough. Im running I-DOT Pros, Lone wolf "-" connector and trigger spring, and Taran tactical +2 base plate and springs on my 43, and the 42s i got for a couple female family members. I am also liking the Blade-tech klipt IWB kydex IWB holder for these pistols, at $25 it seems to be a very solid option.

Side note, I am looking forward to bringing some family members out for a class when it warms up a bit =)

I suppose some of the above mods wouldn't be ideal for Pocket carry but otherwise would be a great start. You definitely wouldn't like my pocket carry (since 1997) as I don't use a holster and the trigger has no guard.

I suppose some of the above mods wouldn't be ideal for Pocket carry but otherwise would be a great start. You definitely wouldn't like my pocket carry (since 1997) as I don't use a holster and the trigger has no guard.
You're right. Very frowned upon by the entire training community.
Under stress it's too easy to have the finger in the trigger while drawing the gun then have the top of the gun catch on the seam of the pocket. The gun stops but the trigger finger keeps going.... till "bang".
Has happened all too often.

Last edited:
You're right. Very frowned upon by the entire training community.
Under stress it's too easy to have the finger in the trigger while drawing the gun then have the top of the gun catch ok the seam of the pocket. The gun stops but the trigger finger keeps going.... till "bang".
Has happened all too often.

If I need mine, it'll go bang while still in my Pocket. Just gotta remember to keep the pants for future practice sessions..

Excellent write up PM. I do very similar mods to most of my Glocks, minus the grip mod, but I do find the G42/43 triggers to be extremely heavy/rough. Im running I-DOT Pros, Lone wolf "-" connector and trigger spring, and Taran tactical +2 base plate and springs on my 43, and the 42s i got for a couple female family members. I am also liking the Blade-tech klipt IWB kydex IWB holder for these pistols, at $25 it seems to be a very solid option.

Side note, I am looking forward to bringing some family members out for a class when it warms up a bit =)

I'll look forward to seseing y'all.
Those holsters seem like a good option.
I have daily carried my 19 for years (& my 23 for years before that) on the belt & advise carrying smaller guns that way as well.
But, since so many people pocket carry (which I don't like for a few reasons) I went ahead and picked up a neat little holster that seems to work pretty well.
It catches on the edge of the pocket to facilitate one handed draws and cover the triggerguard.
20151118_224247.jpg

Back
Top Bottom