• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 42 mods by professionals & EDC users

If I need mine, it'll go bang while still in my Pocket. Just gotta remember to keep the pants for future practice sessions..

What if the attacker is not standing in front of you or if there is more than one?
Not too mention the still high risk of premature discharge inside the pants (yeah, I said it....☺)

Last edited:
What if the attacker is not standing in front of you or if there is more than one?
Not too mention the still high risk of premature discharge inside the pants (yeah, I said it....☺)

The one in my pocket is for close quarters single assailant issues. G30 or G32 in my waistband is for the rest. In 18 years I've never worried about any type of "premature discharge" (other than, nevermind)

I used to spend 100+ on aftermarket sights (TruGlo TFO) and then I went to the Glock Factory in Smyrna and they installed Meprolight night sights for 60 out the door. They are just as bright if not brighter and a fraction of the cost.

Instead of the innertube I have been using the rubberized Talon Grips which IMO are phenomenal and have held up over thousands of rounds through my 26, 43 and 17.

I certainly agree about all of your mods though, great read and words of wisdom.

I used to spend 100+ on aftermarket sights (TruGlo TFO) and then I went to the Glock Factory in Smyrna and they installed Meprolight night sights for 60 out the door. They are just as bright if not brighter and a fraction of the cost.

Instead of the innertube I have been using the rubberized Talon Grips which IMO are phenomenal and have held up over thousands of rounds through my 26, 43 and 17.

I certainly agree about all of your mods though, great read and words of wisdom.

One of the 42's I have (the wifes) has those (Talon grips) on it, They are quite nice.

And thanks.

As a "nod" to your post I edited my original post & added the two mods. you mentioned as I have seen them often & they do work well also.

I'm a little surprised you don't carry two. But then again, if I was in your line of work, I wouldn't say anything about the second one either. Ya just never know about people. I'm glad my job doesn't involve handing strangers my gun.

When I did "other work" I often did carry two. Sometimes 2 G-19's & sometimes something smaller as a backup.
I do occasionally carry two even now.

Though its not good justification I do often carry the G-19 in part due to its rock solid reliability since I've been carrying them.
So far... knock on wood, I've never had a catastrophic malfunction where it quit working.
Collectively I've got over 300k rounds or thereabouts through them so my confidence is well-founded. But you're right, two is one & one is none.

It is a good idea to have two but if I'm only going to carry one it is the one w/ the highest record of reliability.

We put A LOT of rounds through G-42's in classes. It is a great gun in many ways but there is one issue that can make it frustrating. One of the few negatives of the 42 is the 6 rd. mag. capacity.
One of the many features of the G-19 & G-23 decades ago that propelled them to the top was their size/ weight/ capacity efficiency. Never before had a pistol been that small & that light with that much capacity.
Even today very few pistols beat that combination... only match it or come close to it.

The G-42 has some very positive attributes. One of its foremost advantages is its accuracy. In the hands of a good shooter it can hold 3" to 4" groups AT 25 YARDS freehand!
But it really doesn't have the size/ weight/ capacity ratio that is should have. As many critics have noted it should at least have 7 rds. in the mag. instead of 6.

I've added the Mag Guts +1, the Pearce +1, both together for a reliable 8 rd. capacity, the Taran Tactical +1 & +2.... & even the Gallaway Precision +2's.

The problem is with all of those mods. (that shouldn't be necessary) is that they get kind of expensive.

After looking at the Mag Guts follower that adds one round to the factory mag. w/o changing the floorplate or adding any additional length to the mag. I figured that the follower in the factory mag. might could be modded to do the same thing as the +/- $20 aftermarket Mag Guts kit.

Sure enough, I looked on you tube & there were a couple of vids. showing people already doing it.
So I broke out some tools, disassembled a couple of the range mags. & carefully modded the followers.

While I would be very hesitant to rely on this setup for my carry mags. until I had many, many rounds w/ zero issues downrange I can say that so far, after 300 or 400 rds. they have been 100% reliable w/ not a single stoppage.

I will post some pics. at some point soon for those who may have interest in doing this mod. to some of your own mags. to try out... or just search it on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom