• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock and Suppressor Returning to Battery Issue

khanguyen519

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
46   0
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out why my Glock 19 and my Omega 9k won't return to battery fully after cycling. There's 1/8" left before it returns to full battery. This happens every 2-3 rounds. If I shake the pistol slightly, it'll return to battery but at times, I'll have a light primer strike.

My equipment include a Vickers 19 with a Silencerco barrel and Omega 9k running ETS magazine. Ammo used are 115gr UMC and 115gr Magtech. The gun was cleaned before the range session--lightly oiled barrel and greased slide rails. The Omega 9k's piston is greased.

I'm having issues before and after the I replaced the recoil spring from stock to a 20lb spring on a stainless rod. Firing unsuppressed is fine with either spring.

Has anyone had these issues and found a solution? Thanks in advance.

SOLUTION UPDATE 7/15/2017

Took the 19 to the range yesterday and had 4 hangups out of 150 rounds. Before the slide hung up every 2-3 rounds. I would say my problems are solved because I do agree the Omega 9k is a pretty heavy suppressor. I should note with the suppressor mounted, the recoil spring test does not work even on the 20lb spring. The things that were different this range trip are

1. Fully stripped and cleaned pistol. I don't think this played a huge factor because my pistol was pretty clean during the first two range trips.

2. Add a mess load of lithium grease to the piston. I got hit in the face with some during blow back.

3. Polished trigger bar, connector, slide guide rail, and locking block with a dremel and Mother's mag polish. I did this because I had to release the trigger all the way for the slide to return to battery during the first two range trips. Smoothened it out and I feel a hair less resistance. It's also cheap if you have the dremel and polishing compound.

4. ordered trigger spring, firing pin spring, and a titanium plunger. I installed everything oher than the trigger spring.

I was too impatient to test these items separately and go to the range 3 times but I recommend anyone having this issue try to rule out the issues in this order unless you don't want to do any polishing.

Thanks Silencerco for sending me a new barrel quickly but I did not have to put it in. I'm sending it back to them.

P.s. Beware of the Double Diamond 3.5lb Connector. I installed it after the range trip and my striker released while trying to reset the trigger. It's not safe and seems like unintentional double taps are imminent.

Try some 147 or 158gr ammo.

I know I had issues with using Summit subsonic ammo in my AAC barrel but it was the ammo not wanting to be fit in the match grade chamber.

Try some 147gr ammo first. If it has issues, change recoil guide rod and spring back to stock and see if that corrects the issue. Only change one thing at a time until you find the issue. My 17 is stock and has never had an issue. I'm betting on guide rod or mag causing you issues. One last thing, you do have a piston and spring and not a fixed barrel spacer installed...

I had a very similar issue with a Glock 23 and a different suppressor. No matter what ammo was used. Two different guns same problem. Finally I changed the recoil spring to brand-new OEM Glock, and I think more importantly, I updated the magazine to the newer, I think 10 coil spring. My mags were older and they used a nine coil. When I called Glock about the issue, they recommended replacing the mag springs.

Problem was solved in both guns. It went from a 50% failure to 0%. I think the suppressor creates more back pressure at a faster action. May require new mags springs if your mags are older.

I had a very similar issue with a Glock 23 and a different suppressor. No matter what ammo was used. Two different guns same problem. Finally I changed the recoil spring to brand-new OEM Glock, and I think more importantly, I updated the magazine to the newer, I think 10 coil spring. My mags were older and they used a nine coil. When I called Glock about the issue, they recommended replacing the mag springs.

Problem was solved in both guns. It went from a 50% failure to 0%. I think the suppressor creates more back pressure at a faster action. May require new mags springs if your mags are older.
Correct. The back pressure speeds up the cycle of the firearm. It is a lot more noticeable with firearms like the PTR-91. That is why you have to change the locking piece in order to slow down the unlocking . IF not it will literally beat the firearm to pieces. So a strong mag spring is a must.

I've been trying to figure out why my Glock 19 and my Omega 9k won't return to battery fully after cycling. There's 1/8" left before it returns to full battery. This happens every 2-3 rounds. If I shake the pistol slightly, it'll return to battery but at times, I'll have a light primer strike.

My equipment include a Vickers 19 with a Silencerco barrel and Omega 9k running ETS magazine. Ammo used are 115gr UMC and 115gr Magtech. The gun was cleaned before the range session--lightly oiled barrel and greased slide rails. The Omega 9k's piston is greased.

I'm having issues before and after the I replaced the recoil spring from stock to a 20lb spring on a stainless rod. Firing unsuppressed is fine with either spring.

Has anyone had these issues and found a solution? Thanks in advance.
Make sure the inner part of the top of the slide is lubricated along with the edges of the exposed part of the barrel. The Omega 9K is a heavy suppressor. The extra weight can cause the slide to catch on any burrs and leading edges of the barrel until friction smooths it out.

When mine was doing this I swapped in a new recoil spring and it cleared it up. Wouldn't fully return to battery, it would get real close, but lacked about a quarter inch or so. I believe mine was just worn out. Also, like others said, keep the booster lubed to avoid inducing other malfunctions.

Edit* Glad you got it figured out!

Back
Top Bottom