• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock cycle problems with suppressor

Dirty J

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
344   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just picked up my SilencerCo Octane a week or so ago and finally got it out to the range last night.

Works fantastic on my CZ Scorpion and my 300 blackout... but didn't want to cycle on my Glock 17.

The threaded barrel is a Lone Wolf that I've been shooting for about 6 months... has easily 1000 rounds through it... so I don't suspect there's any break in period for the barrel to be done...

Shooting Speer Lawman 147gr ammo.

Does the piston need to be lubed for it to work properly? The manual didn't indicate this.

What are some things I should be looking at?

Whats the problem exactly? Is it not extracting? Not returning fully to battery? What ammo are you using? I have a AAC TiRant 9 on a Glock 19 with a AAC barrel which is made by StormLake. Supposedly they have a "duty" chamber vs a "match" chamber but certain ammo wouldn't run. Summit's Subsonic would work because it won't fit in the chamber, its too tight. Tulammo Maxx brass will jam it up too and won't extract. I'm only using Fiocchi 158 through the can and it works well, no issues shooting but when I rack a round I use the slingshot method vs the slide release and give it a tap in the back regardless. Sometimes using the slide release it looks ever so slightly out of battery.

First round feeds in fine... slingshot or otherwise. Fires one round... slide locks open... next rounds doesn't feed.

Round moves slightly forward from the magazine... won't feed in to the barrel. Doesn't even look like it's contacted the feed ramp...

Ammo is 147gr Speer Lawman.

This ammo has worked flawlessly in this gun and barrel without the suppressor.

My initial thought is the added back pressure of the suppressor is the issue... maybe a heavier recoil spring is the fix... but wanted to ask if there was anything else to look at before spending the cash.

Just to make sure. You are running the spring with glock and not the fixed barrel spacer correct?

Yes. Of course with the spring.

I've got the 1/2x28 booster that came with, plus the direct thread mounts for the Scorpion and 300 blackout. I don't even own a fixed spacer.

Try different ammo and see if you are getting the same issues with the suppressor. If you are, then I would think that the mag springs would be suspect as they are not getting the next round up fast enough. If it runs fine, then you found ammo that your gun doesn't like. I hope you didn't order a case of it if that is the issue. My 17 runs the Speer 147gr suppressed fine thru a TiRant45. You could always drive over to Glock and had them check it out for you.

Keep the slide rails lubed. Ive shot a lot of lawman 147 and that stuff blows sand like consistency back into the chamber from using the can. It get the gun REALLY dirty really fast. I keep a can of ballistol in my back pocket to give it an occasional shot. Especially on my 9mm ar.

Try different ammo and see if you are getting the same issues with the suppressor. If you are, then I would think that the mag springs would be suspect as they are not getting the next round up fast enough. If it runs fine, then you found ammo that your gun doesn't like. I hope you didn't order a case of it if that is the issue. My 17 runs the Speer 147gr suppressed fine thru a TiRant45. You could always drive over to Glock and had them check it out for you.

I've got 2 cases of it actually :) But my CZ Scorpion likes it just fine.

I also range a mag of Hornady XTP's and they did the exact same thing.

So it's either a mag issue as you indicated OR a slide velocity issue that could be rectified with a heavier recoil spring. Maybe I'll try a G22 spring to see what that does.

Keep the slide rails lubed. Ive shot a lot of lawman 147 and that stuff blows sand like consistency back into the chamber from using the can. It get the gun REALLY dirty really fast. I keep a can of ballistol in my back pocket to give it an occasional shot. Especially on my 9mm ar.

It certainly had a lot of debris blowback, but I don't think that's the issue as the wife and I removed the can and shot another 100 flawless rounds of the same ammo without the can.

Thanks all for the feedback. Will keep everyone posted of any successes or additional failures that I have.

Does the piston need to be lubed for it to work properly? The manual didn't indicate this.

Recently one of the folks from SilencerCo wrote the following over at SilencerTalk:

After the piston and spring are cleaned, a light coat of white lithium grease is a good lubricant for the O-rings and the piston.

Ref: www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=135907&p=928213

Give that a shot, see if anything changes. I was thinking mag springs as well, but your last statement of the ammo cycles well w/o the suppressor but not with it makes me think it isn't mag springs. But swapping mags is a cheap & easy test.

Back
Top Bottom