• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Extended Magazine Release

Don231s

Default rank 5000+ posts
I heard it on the X
55   0
Reaction score
I thought I would share something that happened to me a couple of days ago. My hands have become a little arthritic along with some loss of feeling as the years have gone by. I installed an extended slide lock, slide release, and mag release on my Glock. I know the "rock your Glock stock" mantra and all, but two of the extensions really helped me on breakdown and releasing the slide.

The problem I had was with the extended mag release. While doing some practice shooting, I bumped it ever so slightly on my table, and out dropped the mag. That was a wake up call. I went back in the house and reinstalled the stock release and will leave it in.

This is just my experience, but I guess the message is that the mag release mod did not prove to be as beneficial as the other two. In fact, it created a new problem whereas the other two did not. You might like the extra length. But releasing the mag by accident might be a problem for you as well.

Extended controls are always hit or miss. Some guys ride slide stops and the gun will never lock open. Others drop mags unexpectedly with a bigger mag release.
I've had my Kimber pop a mag while in a crossbreed holster, without an extended release. All you can do is try them and see what works. They're great when they work.

Yeah, I’ve decided not to run an extended slide stop as I occasionally lock the slide open. Ext Mag release works fine for me.

Same. Unless I consciously change my grip, an extended slide stop locks it open on every single shot for me personally. Extended mag release is just plain uncomfortable and you still have to break your grip to drop a mag anyway.

IIRC a standard G21 mag release is halfway between a standard and OEM mag release for regular frame Glocks, and drops right in. Vickers also makes one that’s a compromise between the two. That said, I’ll stick with standard OEM.

Back
Top Bottom