• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

glock field knife

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
i was looking at he glock modle 81 knife at the store the other day, it has a long heavy serrated edge on one edge and the other edge is straight all the way across. 50-55 RC spring steel blade.

they only cost about $30 and i was looking for decent not made in china fixed blade knife, if i was gonna spend more I'd get a k-bar but my budget does limit me

they are made in austria and have the lifetime warranty with them like the glock handguns
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...bon-steel-blade-with-saw-spine-polymer-handle

has anyone had experience with them

I've got two of the 78s with the straight backs. Love them. Tuff as nails and lightweight. Took me a while to notice the cap on the pommel, then I read up and learned that it is so it can be used as a spear head. The cavity is 1/2 inch inner diameter and 1 1/2 inch deep(1 inch deep with cap in place) so it could be used to store a few matches. some fishing line and a small hook or two or something. With the cap in pace I think it's waterproof. There is a hole across from side to side for nailing the spear shaft to the knife that the cap blocks when in place.

My only negative thought would be that the low profile from blade edge to spine makes them seem too light for survival general use. Obviously it makes a fine weapon and is useful in a variety of ways. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

I've got the 81. It came from the factory with a very rough blade. I hade to completely redo it with a convex edge, polished the blade, added a few extra personal items and it turned out nice. The compartment in the handle is good for a small fishing kit or fire tabs, etc.... Mine will shave the hair off your arm. I got mine when they were just about $20 and it's been worth it.

I have one in OD just so I can mention I have an OD Glock 81 when people post they want to trade for any OD Glock. I'll pick up a black one eventually just because. The top "serration" is actually a "saw back", rather than a typical knife serration.

I've had the smooth backed one in OD for several years now- it's been a really good knife. And I'm a little embarrassed to say I never noticed the hollow pommel... Gotta go check that now!

The factory edge wasn't very good, but it was easy enough to get that fixed up.

A5B77219-47E5-4D9A-8648-A1164DE53A82.jpeg

I bought two of the Glock FM 81 knives to use for throwing.
They're very tough, and even though they've hit each other, hit wooden boards the wrong way, bounced off of the wooden target, and hit concrete floors, , rocks, bricks, concrete walls, and gravel driveways, they are still holding up well.

I'm using one today to cut watermelon. Happy Fourth of July everybody !

FE35307E-E324-4AC9-B0C5-2C2D47B0CA6D.jpeg
E4626292-9AEF-497E-817A-FEBCBF3B3E8E.jpeg
I left both of my Glock FM81 knives out in the rain overnight in the middle of last week.

The next morning I took them out of their scabbards and shook the water out of them and left them in the trunk of my car to sort of dry off. But not quite fully dry, because the trunk trapped the dampness in. And I had a bathing suit and damp towel in there from my last trip to the swimming pool .

Result: 4 days later I inspected them and found only one spot of rust on one of the tips of one of the knives. Then I used them all day long for gardening and landscaping work. I chopped kudzu and used the saw back on the spine to saw through tree roots, and privet bushes up to a half inch diameter. I chopped 1.5 inch diameter bamboo in two with a single swipe, most of the time, although sometimes I had to take two or three swipes to finish cutting it in half.

Then today I spent a half hour out in the yard throwing these knives, and sometimes they wouldn't hit the target exactly right and then bounce off and go tip-first right into the rocky soil. At the end of all that I wiped them off with a little bit of WD-40 and a paper towel and they look this good .

Back
Top Bottom