• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock G23, buy a 9mm conversion barell or get a G19?

elloco07

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
1   0
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if it would be better to just buy a conversion barrel for my glock 23 Gen 3 to shoot 9mm or should I buy a g19 instead? If I do buy the barrel conversion, Will G19 9mm magazines fit into my G23 or would I need to buy special magazines?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

If you already have a G23, get the barrel. You don't need anything else. You have to use the 9mm magazines, which the Glock or KCI mags will work. G19/G23 frames are identical. While reliable, I was always weary to carry with the conversion barrel, so if you plan on carrying it in 9mm, I would get the G19 if you're so inclined. If you just want to shoot cheaper ammo at the range, get the barrel (good luck finding one) and you're all set.

Some guys go a bit further and change out the extractor for increased reliability, but I have never had to do that and never had a failure. Of course, YMMV.

If you already have a G23, get the barrel. You don't need anything else. You have to use the 9mm magazines, which the Glock or KCI mags will work. G19/G23 frames are identical. While reliable, I was always weary to carry with the conversion barrel, so if you plan on carrying it in 9mm, I would get the G19 if you're so inclined. If you just want to shoot cheaper ammo at the range, get the barrel (good luck finding one) and you're all set.

Some guys go a bit further and change out the extractor for increased reliability, but I have never had to do that and never had a failure. Of course, YMMV.

I agree except for the mags part. I've heard a lot of guys say that the G23 mags will run 9mm just fine.

thanks for the info. I also thought about buying a G27 to carry, sell my G23 and buy a G19. I do need a CCW, and G27 is the one I want. But it might be better to just buy the Barrel, and get the G27. I only want the 9mm conversion for range. I already have 10 G23 magazines and if I can u se 9mm in them, that will be great, don't have to buy extra mags.

I say conversion barrel, but that's personal preference. If you just want a 9mm, get a 19. The beauty of getting a 23 is you can generally get a 23 AND a conversion barrel for less than a 19. For a duty gun, get a beater 23 trade in and barrel, rock on.

Another vote for conversion barrel. I love being able to swap between .357 and .40 barrels in my G32, magazines are 100% compatible. Hope to add a 9mm barrel some day.

But that's not to say if I had 500-plus bucks laying around I wouldn't grab up a 19. 'Cause I would. But I don't. So I can't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom