• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Gen 5/Glock in General Opinions

jonsmith6391

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
Hello all!

The community here has been nothing, but awesome with answering my questions and I come ya'll AGAIN with another one. My dad is hellbent on buying a Glock since he has a ton of LEO friends. I've found great prices at my local firearms dealer for Glock 17 Gen 5's for $569 (which I find reasonable, despite not being a Glock guy myself though after holding it, I would love one!). However, I want to know honestly whether a Glock really is worth his investment and time. I know it will hold out over time, but is it worth it? I want to hear arguments on both sides as well as recommendations of decent quality handguns. He would be carrying it as well as using it for home defense. He is in Atlanta (downtown and Hartsfield) ALL the time and I would like something he can both hone his skills with as well as defend himself with.

Thanks guys!

You guys are minutes from Glock/Smyrna. If you were to ever have a problem, take it back to Glock and if it's a Glock problem they'll fix it. They upgrade to adjustable sights free and nigh sights for $60.....installed with a 15 year warranty. I'm sure you already know all this but the bottom line is Glocks shoot, and if they don't they fix them. And they're just over the road.

All of my Glocks are gen 3 and I carry one of my 19s or my 26 the most. Most of the Glocks I have, I bought used since Smyrna is close by for a free service (they've replaced old springs and replaced aging mags for me at no cost). That said, many used guns haven't been shot enough to even be broken in, let alone broken. As for going Gen 5, I'd only spend the extra money if there are features on that generation that he has to have. And depending on his build or how comfortable he wants to be, he should consider a 19 over a 17 if he plans on concealing it. Or just buy a bunch like I did and he can carry a Glock 20 in the winter, Glock 26 in the summer, and whatever he feels like any other time.

As for going Gen 5, I'd only spend the extra money if there are features on that generation that he has to have. And depending on his build or how comfortable he wants to be, he should consider a 19 over a 17 if he plans on concealing it.

Two things you should know: First, he wants only a new Glock. Don't ask why, I told him a used one is just as good. Two, he's about 6'1-2, 220 pounds, so pretty tall. I'm not sure how comfortable he is yet with the kick of a gun; he can handle it, plus the 19's are sold out at my local dealer ($569 also for Gen 5). I also have been interested in the Gen 5 since getting my eyes on one. The trigger is much better than prior generations, the finger grips (?) aren't there, and the overall design is just refreshing. I've hated Glocks up until Gen 5, truthfully, not just because of cosmetic, but because I couldn't stand the feel of it and the trigger sucked (which I know now to get a Ghost trigger with a 3-3.5 pound pull for a heck of a time). Either way, how much difference is there between 19 and 17? I know 19 is compact, but is kick more than 17? Thanks!

Like others have said Glock in Smyrna is right down the road and will install extended mag and slide releases, replace old mags and springs and do it all for free. Great customer service, warranty, and reliability. Aftermarket parts are plentiful and affordable. I have plenty of other guns I like better but Glock is the best bang for your buck

Two things you should know: First, he wants only a new Glock. Don't ask why, I told him a used one is just as good. Two, he's about 6'1-2, 220 pounds, so pretty tall. I'm not sure how comfortable he is yet with the kick of a gun; he can handle it, plus the 19's are sold out at my local dealer ($569 also for Gen 5). I also have been interested in the Gen 5 since getting my eyes on one. The trigger is much better than prior generations, the finger grips (?) aren't there, and the overall design is just refreshing. I've hated Glocks up until Gen 5, truthfully, not just because of cosmetic, but because I couldn't stand the feel of it and the trigger sucked (which I know now to get a Ghost trigger with a 3-3.5 pound pull for a heck of a time). Either way, how much difference is there between 19 and 17? I know 19 is compact, but is kick more than 17? Thanks!
Understood. I don't think the recoil is that big of a deal in any of the 9mm double stack Glocks, they are all pretty soft shooting. That said there are good after market recoil springs with heavier metal guide rods that would make any difference between recoil of a 17 and 19 non-existent.

Understood. I don't think the recoil is that big of a deal in any of the 9mm double stack Glocks, they are all pretty soft shooting. That said there are good after market recoil springs with heavier metal guide rods that would make any difference between recoil of a 17 and 19 non-existent.
Your knowledge is quite helpful! Glock strikes me as the 1911 of striker-fired pistols. Fair statement? Sounds like I could customize the heck out of it.

Recoil between a 19 & a 17 should be negligible... it's a 9mm. Besides, he's 6'1" & 220.... that's big enough to go bear hunting with a switch. I've got a daughter 5' nothing weighs about a buck 15, her nightstand gun is a G20, she shoots my 500 with full house loads. He can take it. Buy a gen3 19 before you spend $600 on an unknown. If you don't like lose $50 and start again. Half the fun of guns is sitting around telling folks about all the guns you've had!

Back
Top Bottom