• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Gen 5/Glock in General Opinions

It would be hard to go wrong with any brand new 9mm Glock that feels good in his hands. Be advised that Glocks can be a little tricky to learn to shoot accurately. Many new right handed shooters will shoot low left. I can't overemphasize the importance of quality training and consistent practice, if the goal is to be competent with Glock. A really cheap way to get some good basic instruction on the fundamentals in a safe environment would be to join GSSF and come out to a match.
GSSF?

At 5' 11" I notice no difference in comparability between the 19 and 17. I chose a 17 for the extra capacity and sight radius.

I carry IWB and work where deep concealment is a must. Of course I carried an all steel full size 1911 IWB for years so the 17 is easy in comparison.
What kind of holster you use?

My miserable opinion:

The 5 has a nicer trigger and I appreciate being able to get a better purchase on the mag in the event of clearing a type-3, but apart from that I prefer the finger grooves of a 4. Nothing in the 5 moves the needle for me. It is a nice gun and had I picked it up 1st I would probably have preferred it due to the trigger alone but I have 1,000's of rounds thru my 4 and I trust it to get me to my rifle regardless of conditions.

I have a gen 1 21 that I purchased used about 20 years ago. I have put 1000's of rounds through it with no problems. It is by far my favorite Glock. About 3 years ago I installed a Storm lake match grade barrel, glock works springs, ghost connector and other parts. It shoots like a dream. I saved all of the old parts.
I also have a gen 2 22 that is my nightstand gun and it shoots great as well. I had a gen 3 27 that I used for carry. Wish I had kept it. I will be purchasing another small Glock for carry purposes sometime in the future. I have a full size M&P 40 that is nice but I like my Glocks better. Glocks ain't pretty but you can drag them through the dirt and they will still work. Another plus is cost. God forbid you shoot in self defense the police will confiscate the weapon and you may or may not get it back . I would rather lose a gun that doesn't cost a lot of money. The big plus to me is Glock in Smyrna. The best and easiest customer customer service ever. Bottom line is no matter what you shoot it has to feel good in your hand and pratice, pratice, pratice. That's my 2cents.

I have a gen 1 21 that I purchased used about 20 years ago. I have put 1000's of rounds through it with no problems. It is by far my favorite Glock. About 3 years ago I installed a Storm lake match grade barrel, glock works springs, ghost connector and other parts. It shoots like a dream. I saved all of the old parts.

It's a Gen 2 21 I believe, they only made Gen 1's in 9mm if I'm not mistaken. Hold on to those old original parts. Don't take those old parts to Smyrna, or they will all end up gone. They will be replaced with MIM parts that may or may not break more easily. Newer Glock slides and barrels have the tightest/best tolerances ever, but the small parts haven't necessarily improved.

The new S&W MP 2.0 is worth a look as well and about $100.00 cheaper.

I just picked up a M&P 2.0 5" and it's the bees knees. I just traded off my last Glock for another M&P compact. S&W finally has their stuff together and are making a awesome pistol with the M&P line.

I just picked up a M&P 2.0 5" and it's the bees knees. I just traded off my last Glock for another M&P compact. S&W finally has their stuff together and are making a awesome pistol with the M&P line.

I hope they release a compact version of the 2.0. If they do I'll be picking one of those up asap.

Back
Top Bottom