• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Gen 5 Training Pistols

YippeeKiYay

Default rank <400 posts
Mother F***er!
43   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a company out there that makes Gen 5 training pistols? (I've searched and searched, and can only find Gen 4 models) What's the best type of training pistol?

Also, what's the best way to get in some good quality training? Laser? Old school dry fire? At home drills? (Range trips are out of the question for a while due to my ridiculous work schedule) I know running a handgun is something you have to stay on top of to keep proficient, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

I dry fire every day. Here's how I do it: Triple check your pistol first, with no ammo in the room at all. Say out loud to yourself, "I am unloading my pistol and I'm doing some dry fire time." When you are done say out loud again to yourself, "I am done dry firing, and I am loading the pistol now." I'm not paranoid but just really like to emphasize safety especially when it comes to dry firing with your EDC. After many years I have yet to have a ND with these safety protocols. If you just want to practice drawing or something, a blue pistol is a good tool.

I dry fire every day. Here's how I do it: Triple check your pistol first, with no ammo in the room at all. Say out loud to yourself, "I am unloading my pistol and I'm doing some dry fire time." When you are done say out loud again to yourself, "I am done dry firing, and I am loading the pistol now." I'm not paranoid but just really like to emphasize safety especially when it comes to dry firing with your EDC. After many years I have yet to have a ND with these safety protocols. If you just want to practice drawing or something, a blue pistol is a good tool.
I used to dry fire a good bit, but stopped because I had the time to hit the range a few days a week. Now I don't have the time..

I've also heard arguments for both sides of dry firing your weapon. Saying it will hurt your pistol, others saying it won't. I never had an issue, but didn't do it everyday. Have you ever had a problem resulting from dry firing?

& yes, safety is huge! It sounds dumb when you say it out loud to yourself, but it definitely makes you focus, and pay closer attention. ND ain't nothing to joke about.

I used to dry fire a good bit, but stopped because I had the time to hit the range a few days a week. Now I don't have the time..

I've also heard arguments for both sides of dry firing your weapon. Saying it will hurt your pistol, others saying it won't. I never had an issue, but didn't do it everyday. Have you ever had a problem resulting from dry firing?

& yes, safety is huge! It sounds dumb when you say it out loud to yourself, but it definitely makes you focus, and pay closer attention. ND ain't nothing to joke about.
The only time dry firing will hurt a pistol is on a rimfire, like a .22. Any centerfire pistol (like a striker-fired Glock or a 1911) and you're fine.

The Dry fire mag is pretty good. Sirt pistols can be fun to train with and Airsoft gas blowback pistols are very similar to live fire. But honestly you can practice dry fire pretty darn well with just your UNLOADED carry pistol.

Competition guys that shoot for a living spend 80-90% of their shooting time dry firing. Perfect practice makes perfect.

What do you mean by a “training pistol”?

Drawing and breaking the first shot, reloads, malfunction clearing, support hand only draws, one-handed reloads (both strong- and support-hand only), learning to move properly while keeps the sights on target, are just some of many skills that can be practiced with your “real” gun and some dummy rounds.

I can highly recommend the MantisX is the best dry-firing training device I have ever used, and you use it in conjunction with your “real” pistol.

https://mantisx.com/

Back
Top Bottom