• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock weapons light - TLR-1 vs TLR-1HL?

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
17   0
Reaction score
So I am considering mounting a light onto my G20. The primary purpose is for home defense, and in that scenario, I will likely be rolling out of bed if I have to use it. The secondary purpose is to carry as a bear defense gun while elk hunting - but this will be once a year at most, and I will be hunting in areas where grizz encounters are unlikely.

After looking at a lot of options, I'm pretty convinced that Streamlight is the way to go, but I could be persuaded if anyone feels like there are significantly better options.

Regarding the TLR-1 vs TLR-1HL option - I'm pretty sure the HL version would be vastly preferable for after dark hiking/bear gun purposes, but again, that's not the primary purpose. I would rather lean towards the home defense angle when selecting the right model.

So considering that in a home defense scenario I would be deploying it from a dead sleep, would the HL option be too bright if bouncing off of light colored walls in close quarters? I have read that this may be a concern, but there's also a lot of internet jibberjabber that gets thrown out there without actual experience to back it up.

Any TLR-1HL users who have thoughts on indoor home defense use and whether it's overkill?

I have used Streamlights (TLR-1 and TLR-7 and 7a recently) for pistol/rifle lights for a long time, they always worked well and I've had no issues. I don't have any experience with the TLR-1HL.

I have recently switched to a Surefire 300A for my carry gun, based on reliability feedback from firearms trainers (Streamlight is good, Surefire is better) and carry location (longer light/holster helps with appendix carry). But I will say the switch position is better on the TLR-1 or TLR-7a vs the 300A.

But since you are asking about home defense, I would not recommend a pistol as your primary HD firearm. A semiauto rifle in 5.56 or 7.62x39 or a shotgun in 12 or 20 ga would serve much better in my opinion. I've always heard from that you can't have too many lumens. And a bright light will let you blind an attacker and give you the advantage.

The important thing is to get low light training and thus experience in it (I'm scheduled later this month for a 2 day class actually).

I'm tellin ya TLR2-HL-G
g-19-c.jpg

You will be glad you did! Makes it a little nose heavy, but add a weighted magwell and weighted magazines and you are good to go in the balance department. You can light up your neighbors yard with a 9MM.

Well I ended up buying a TLR-1 that should be here this week. I figured that if home defense is the primary concern, the TLR-1 is unlikely to leave me feeling like I need more light, but the TLR-1 HL may just leave me feeling like it's a bit too much. As for taking the gun for bear protection once or twice a year, I can always keep my eye out for a TLR-1 HL down the road. I could definitely see how the HL version would come in handy if something starts grunting nearby in the woods when it's dark.

I think you made a good choice. I run a TLR-1S as my bedside gun and have for over 10 years now. No issues.

My EDC gun runs a TLR-HL or TLR-7 currently, but I have limited experience with the 7 series currently.

As have had already been said, I highly recommend either a low light class or at the very least low light book. Preferably both.

Consider taking a low light glass and learn techniques when deploying a WML. You shouldn't be blinding yourself in your own home.

Do a search for Sage Dynamics on YouTube. He's my go to for lights and optics. He's reviewed them all. It just so happens he also does training, if you want to take one of those low light classes everyone is recommending.

Back
Top Bottom