• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock

I think the original question is if some guns made during a certain era have locks why would all of them not have them. I think Taurus, S&W voluntarily did the lock thing to appease the government. Glock has never cared what their customers want I doubt they care what the government wants either.

No I am not. I am giving you their reasoning, I'm not saying it's reasonable
ok, my mistake. Thanks ;)

I went to sig hammers mostly because i wasnt comfortable with a striker above my junk.
I usually carry at 1-2 o'clock. If You need a safety on a carry pistol why not just leave it unloaded or on an empty chamber? Keep the ammo in a seperate location? adding extra crap to personal protection devices isnt smart. Keep It Simple

As explained to me by an Atlanta City Police Captain: In the late 1980's the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) told S&W that if they would include a lock on their firearms, the AFT would recommend Smiths to be carried by all School Police. Smith said "Bring us a contract and we'll do it." Well, there's no seperate buying contracts for just School Police as they are part of any local law enforcement agency. So a bunch of local LEAs said they would buy them if given a good discount for bulk purchases. That's why you saw all the Atanta Police, and I'm sure there were many others agencies across the country, carrying Smith semi-autos with the Hillary Hole. The Captain said they all hated them as they were cheaply made so they could be offered at a big discount. I don't know why the revolvers had the lock. Maybe the LEAs had to mix some in to the purchase contract. You know, for women and girlie men.
So, long story short, it was the damned teacher's union that forced the issue. As for Taurus, I got no idea unless they were going to compete for the police contracts.

According to the research I did today. A lock company owned Smith and Wesson a few years back when it seems every gun company was being sold or acquired by somebody and they added the lock. Once a safety feature is added it is hard to roll it back with out bad PR or getting sued as soon as some Jack wagon shoots himself. I think the APD captain just made up the school officer story or just repeated what he heard.

Turaus has always tried to copy Smith and Beretta. Why Ruger added the lock, who knows maybe they did it to have more Massachusetts approves firarms.

I see them as just another breaking part to cause a problem later...

Back
Top Bottom