• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GM Tries a Subscription Plan for Cadillacs—a Netflix for Cars at $1,500 a Month

I have a couple friends that work at a startup called "Clutch" started by a fellow Georgia Tech grad. Companies are starting to take this model of car ownership seriously and I think we will be seeing more of this. It's a cool concept.
http://www.driveclutch.com/

I've seen clutch but to me its not practical. For the price of even the basic Clutch package you could lease 2 cars.

I've seen clutch but to me its not practical. For the price of even the basic Clutch package you could lease 2 cars.
That's true it's not cheap but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either. Clutch includes insurance as well as some other conveniences. I'm not all that familiar with it but it's a cool concept and I think the prices could come down once they scale up.

Plus I don't think there is any commitment with clutch which would also bring prices up. It's not really for the person that would lease. It's for the guy that wants to drive a new car every week or every couple days. They also deliver you a clean car with all your presets on demand which can't be cheap. Not for me but I get why people like it

Plus I don't think there is any commitment with clutch which would also bring prices up. It's not really for the person that would lease. It's for the guy that wants to drive a new car every week or every couple days. They also deliver you a clean car with all your presets on demand which can't be cheap. Not for me but I get why people like it

I think its for hipsters that yea want to switch in between cars a lot but are also too lazy to go to a car wash or dealership for maintance. That said the practical aspect of it is that you can have a pickup truck on the weekend for house projects, a minivan or SUV for a road trip and a regular sedan for commuting to work. Thats great but at $1000 a month for the basic package thats steep. If you can afford to pay that you can afford to lease a pickup truck and a sedan and aside from insurance cost you would be way ahead.

Its an interesting concept but I would like to see how it does long term. Everything sounds good on paper but time will tell if its truly as good as it seems.

I think its for hipsters that yea want to switch in between cars a lot but are also too lazy to go to a car wash or dealership for maintance. That said the practical aspect of it is that you can have a pickup truck on the weekend for house projects, a minivan or SUV for a road trip and a regular sedan for commuting to work. Thats great but at $1000 a month for the basic package thats steep. If you can afford to pay that you can afford to lease a pickup truck and a sedan and aside from insurance cost you would be way ahead.

Its an interesting concept but I would like to see how it does long term. Everything sounds good on paper but time will tell if its truly as good as it seems.
I agree completely. I think the big car companies starting to implement this model does give it some legitimacy.

I agree completely. I think the big car companies starting to implement this model does give it some legitimacy.

Yea but again look at the cost. For $1500 a month you could lease 2 or 3 Cadillacs. We researched Cadillac for the last 2 cars we brought. They don't have much in the way of different cars. They have 2 SUVs, the ATS, the CTS and the XTS are nearly identical and they have the new larger car the CT6 which is just a bigger XTS. For $1500 you could lease an SUV and a car from them. Probably an Escalade and a CTS.

Yea but again look at the cost. For $1500 a month you could lease 2 or 3 Cadillacs. We researched Cadillac for the last 2 cars we brought. They don't have much in the way of different cars. They have 2 SUVs, the ATS, the CTS and the XTS are nearly identical and they have the new larger car the CT6 which is just a bigger XTS. For $1500 you could lease an SUV and a car from them. Probably an Escalade and a CTS.
It's obviously not for you but you're not making a fair comparison. Look up the cost to lease an escalade and a cts (you're already over $1500 per month on a 3 year lease) then factor in two down payments, two car insurance bills, weekly car washes for two cars and minor maintenance. You still are not getting the convenience or variety of cars and the math is nowhere close

Back
Top Bottom