• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Go for a run….

If my fatass can run, you can too.

What started it was chasing my dog through ridge ferry after dropping his leash. I only ran for 30 seconds or so but thought, “that wasn’t horrible like I remember.”
Its that i struggle to get my breath running. Been that way my whole life.
IDK why i can do any other activity but run but its always been that way. I can sprint just fine but sustained running hurts.

Its that i struggle to get my breath running. Been that way my whole life.
IDK why i can do any other activity but run but its always been that way. I can sprint just fine but sustained running hurts.
You are running too fast. Granted, it takes some time but distance running, for exercise (not necessarily racing) should have you breathing easily and heart rate only moderately elevated.
For some that's a 12 minute pace, others 8 minutes. Just depends.

I “went for a run” for the first time in my life at 44 years old last year. I used the couch to 5k program and when I started it whooped my butt running for 60 seconds.

5 weeks later I ran a full mile for the first time in my life and 6 weeks later I ran nonstop for 40 minutes covering 5k. A week after that I ran nonstop for an hour and a half covering 7.5 miles (over achiever 10k).

I ran in a 5k race last Saturday where I got smoked by little kids and old ladies, but I finished without walking. My wife and I run every other day now, usually before the sun comes up and run at least 3.5 miles each time. Usually on Monday’s I go for a long run in the afternoon by myself.

The stress and anxiety relief, the relaxation, the sleep quality, the health benefits, and just being outside enjoyinng nature has vastly improved my quality of life plus since I’m doing it with my wife, it has strengthened our relationship. My wife has run since she was a teenager, and now I really feel stupid for not taking advantage of something that really does make everything better for the last 30 years.
i did the couch to 5k program too. about 8 years ago. I was 48. I could maybe run 50 yards at the time. within 2 years I was at 1/2 marathon distances. there is something therapeutic about running I got from it. I still run on occasion but mostly 'old man jog'.

You are running too fast. Granted, it takes some time but distance running, for exercise (not necessarily racing) should have you breathing easily and heart rate only moderately elevated.
For some that's a 12 minute pace, others 8 minutes. Just depends.
What he said. blazedawg87 blazedawg87 breathing was always my struggle as well. Growing up at 7,000 ft and either living with or being a smoker myself, my lungs were always the first to give out, and the reason I hated running.

You can't outrun your lungs, and you have to build them over time to be able to run faster and further. I am so old and fat now, running slower comes naturally.

As I said, on November 3rd I couldn't run 100 yards without being out of breath. Now I can run for at least two hours straight. My legs and back will give out long before my lungs so long as I don't try to go faster than my lungs can handle.

What he said. blazedawg87 blazedawg87 breathing was always my struggle as well. Growing up at 7,000 ft and either living with or being a smoker myself, my lungs were always the first to give out, and the reason I hated running.

You can't outrun your lungs, and you have to build them over time to be able to run faster and further. I am so old and fat now, running slower comes naturally.

As I said, on November 3rd I couldn't run 100 yards without being out of breath. Now I can run for at least two hours straight. My legs and back will give out long before my lungs so long as I don't try to go faster than my lungs can handle.
ill have to try it. Barron stadium is open to public isnt it?

Only way I’m running is if some big sumbitch is after me, and I left my gun at home.
And then I’d probably die with a heart attack from the exertion.
Did survive a timed 6 minute fast walk around the pulmonologist’s office yesterday, though.

ill have to try it. Barron stadium is open to public isnt it?

It is. Nice and flat. I haven't run there though. I think I would get bored quickly.

I generally run in maple wood although I also run out at Berry or Ridge Ferry.

Download the couch to 5k app, or if you just want to try...this is day 1.

Most of the couch to 5k apps are free for the first week and then want to charge you to continue. For iPhones, C25K (pictured) is free all the way through.

IMG_0F9BDAD35C6D-1.jpeg

It is. Nice and flat. I haven't run there though. I think I would get bored quickly.

I generally run in maple wood although I also run out at Berry or Ridge Ferry.
i would just use my block if it didnt have 40-80ft of elevation change 4 times in a mile lol
Ridge ferry is a good idea.

i would just use my block if it didnt have 40-80ft of elevation change 4 times in a mile lol
Ridge ferry is a good idea.

From the tailgate/RV lot at the stadium back to the bridge is a nice easy stretch of trail to try it out on. Usually not too many people, no kids or dogs running around. From that parking lot to the dog park and back is a 5k. From that parking lot up and around Starbucks and back 5 miles if you circle the parking lot when you return.

Viking trail at Berry is 7.4 miles round trip, but I have discovered that it is where our parents walked to school barefoot in the snow back in the day as it is UPHILL both ways.

If you decide you like it, you already know a running buddy who won't outrun you. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom