• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Go to deer rifle

30 year old Browning Composite Stalker in .280 rem... tried and true...has dropped every deer in its tracks... with 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip...
Single shot NEF .45/70... shoot thru the dang tree, kill the deer standing behind it...

My "back up" or "loaner" deer rifle is growing on me, and I may bump it up to my primary deer hunting rifle unless I have a friend that just has to borrow it.

It's a Savage model 10 in 243 Win., synthetic stock, not an Accu trigger but it's got a decent trigger pull. It's topped with a 3 x 9 x 40mm hunting scope that seems perfectly good out to a few hundred yards.

In fact, last summer I shot this rifle at 600 yards at the River Bend Gun Club shooting from a supported prone position leaning across my range gear bag. I was basically getting most of my hits in the 9-ring, which if I remember right is about 16 inches.
I'm happy with that.

I have more than one "go to"...depending on where and what I'm hunting. For Georgia deer stand hunting I usually take my early 80's Brown Precision mountain rifle in .270 Win. Light, short and deadly accurate.

Ruger M77 MKII 22-250 topped with a Zeiss Conquest. Only thing I take to the woods. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.

250 1.jpg

Gonna keep taking the 300blk with suppressor out. Killed more deer with it than anything.
I’d really like to get one with the 45-70 or 35 rem but I hunt behind a neighborhood and don’t need to draw any unwanted attention.

I have a Sako 75 300 Win Mag that I use. I can't remember exactly how long I've had it or how many deer I've killed with it. I realize it's a bunch of gun for deer not to mention it's relatively heavy and it's certainly not much to look at but I shoot it well and it's served me well so I guess I'll keep toting it to the stand.

Back
Top Bottom