• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Going to the grave with a gun.

Would you take your favorite gun to the grave?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know as of yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
I knew a guy that inherited his grandfather's 1965 Ford Galaxie 500. It was in good shape but need a few mechanical things. The guy was a mechanic. He couldn't find time to work on it so did the next best thing and had it crushed "so nobody else would get it". ?!?!
I view people taking guns to their grave the same way....

We buried my dad with his favorite.
A 10-1/2“ bbl Ruger SuperBlackhawk .45lc (blackhawk .45 with SuperBH grip frame and trigger guard, trigger, hammer along with trigger job and a few other tweeks to his satisfaction.
Dad called it “Meat”. Short for “Meat in the pot” . :)
He wanted to be buried with it - told me a couple of times over the years. While we were shooting once then while we were cleaning guns one day after a shooting session, he mentioned it being his fav and that he wanted to take it with him.
So when we were giving our ok to the way he looked and was presented - before final viewing before the service, my brother slipped the pistol in and I said to the funeral director “We have one more adjustment” and I took that big ass revolver , layed it on his chest and put his left hand on the grip. The funeral director gasped, loudly ! Lol. Choked up kind of he said “ Oh my….that….that….thats just fine !! “ as he looked at my brother and I ….. my brother with a sneer on his face just waiting on him to say something negative, lol.
To those that knew him well smiled and loved the display. I made sure the casket was sealed with it inside just as it was when i put it there.…. And buried.

(Love you Dad - cant wait to go shooting with you again !! )

I told my family the opposite, cremate me, I couldn't stand the thought of all the people walking by staring at me.:rolleyes:
That is exactly what my wife told me. She had been forced to go to many funerals as a young child by her mother and heard all of the comments by the well wishers about the body condition of the deceased. She made it perfectly clear that if I did not cremate her, she would forever haunt me. I cremated her and I sleep well at night. I will also be cremated, but with no firearm. It will not be needed in Heaven. Thanks.

Hey, man, this is some serious stuff, and decisions that should be made before one shuffles off the mortal coil!
You need to have the talk with the person who’s going to be responsible for your arrangements.
Don’t put it in your will, that probably ain’t gonna be read ‘til you’re in the ground.
and don't let the undertaker know , he will try to sell on ODT !!

That is exactly what my wife told me. She had been forced to go to many funerals as a young child by her mother and heard all of the comments by the well wishers about the body condition of the deceased. She made it perfectly clear that if I did not cremate her, she would forever haunt me. I cremated her and I sleep well at night. I will also be cremated, but with no firearm. It will not be needed in Heaven. Thanks.

Amen.

Back
Top Bottom