• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gold panning

After the initial "Honey........I think I found gold" shock, it's actually easy to see in a pan of black sand especially after you been starring at mica flakes for an hour or two.

Camper, I'll send you a pm the next time we thinking about going.

Check out this map, you may have seen a version of it before, but this actually adds the county lines which helps narrow down locations.

http://cdm.sos.state.ga.us:2011/cdm/singleitem/collection/hmf/id/4/rec/37

We have found gold outside of that map, but if you are in the highlighted areas, you are definaltly in the gold.

I've done a little in Rabun county and DeKalb county. I've found some rubies, but no gold. Sure is fun though, and a hell of a lot of work.

Villa Rica translates to "city of gold". Right?

They used to have a slice box and you could pan for gold at Blackburn state park outside dal-uh-neg-uh
You could tour the old mines. Etc

After the state gave the park to the county in the late 70s I'm not sure what happened to it

Last edited:
I live in Dahlonega and have a gold mining ditch in my backyard that connects two natural springs.

Apparently it was mined pretty heavily back in the day so much that the ditch it still very predominant and only used now as a deer path.
I have played around panning at both sides of the spring and have found gold dust....lots of gold dust but as of yet no nuggets.

It is pretty fun just to be out in nature especially when both springs have a small waterfall right in the back yard.

Back
Top Bottom