• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gold value?

Woodshunt86

Default rank <1000 posts
Big iron on his hip
35   0
Reaction score
I was curious if there were any ODT members who know a thing or two about gold. The piece in question belonged to my grandmother who grew up in Germany. My grandfather was stationed there for some time. I wanted to know (if possible) if I could get it dated with the serial number on the back. And the value. I read where a lawsuit was filed on the bank for using holocaust victims stolen goods (gold) back then. Didn't know if I had a rare piece of history or just scrap gold.
20211024_110143.jpg
20211024_110231.jpg

The "Holocaust victims stolen goods" including their fillings and false teeth that were extracted after they were gassed.

Be careful what you wish for.
Not exactly sure what you mean... I didn't wish for anything. I was just looking to date and value it. I wasn't looking for a history lesson about a horrible time, as I am aware of the ungodly things that people had to suffer.

I suspect 1960's or 70's is when that fractional ingot was made.

That bank was "the bank" of the S.S. during WWII. I doubt there are any Jooz teeth in that bar.

I was curious if there were any ODT members who know a thing or two about gold. The piece in question belonged to my grandmother who grew up in Germany. My grandfather was stationed there for some time. I wanted to know (if possible) if I could get it dated with the serial number on the back. And the value. I read where a lawsuit was filed on the bank for using holocaust victims stolen goods (gold) back then. Didn't know if I had a rare piece of history or just scrap gold. View attachment 3616710View attachment 3616711
Have you researched Dresdner Bank AG and found out anything? Very interesting piece you have -- I give you tree fiddy for it any day.

Have you researched Dresdner Bank AG and found out anything? Very interesting piece you have -- I give you tree fiddy for it any day.
I did a little bit of research. Read a few articles, saw one or two similar to the one I have with six digit serial numbers. Nothing as far a date wise. I know current gold value, just don't know much about gold that's "older" or "not made anymore" (if that's even a thing). I just don't know much other than current value of gold.

I also have some Eisenhower dollar coins, Buffalo nickels, Indian head penny's, all kinds of coins dated back to 1891. US to Russia to India.. all kinds.

My spidey sense begs the question:

If that ingot was made by a German smelter for Germans & Nazi’s, then why the hell is the word “bank” spelled in English ?

It is the same word in German.
Central bank is Zentralbank
Deutsche Bank AG: https://www.db.com/index

I did perform a google translation before posting and received a different answer.

Just now performed another at a dedicated translation site and confirmed you‘re correct.

Darn it google.
English word "bank" is an homonym. Same spelling and sound, but different meanings, depending on the context. Google translate could have given you a German word for a riverbank, Ufer, or Kasse for cash register/till, Abhang for slope/overhang, etc.

Makes it fun when you learn a foreign language! :becky:

Back
Top Bottom