• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good 20ga rifled barrel?

karlvv30

Wolf Icon Supporter
Bad at deer hunting
19   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good 20ga with a rifled barrel. They are hard to find. Fort Gordon only allows shotguns in most areas and I'm trying to get my 13yo daughter set up with a good slug gun. Anyone have any recommendations on a good 20ga slug gun?

So, with a rifled barrel, you're only going to get good accuracy out of saboted-bullet loads, right?
Basically a .45 caliber pistol bullet, weighing about 250 grains, pushed to about 1800 f.p.s., surrounded by a plastic shell.
I've always heard that sabot loads are the only kind that stabilize out of a rifled shotgun barrel.

A few minutes of Google searching shows you're right that they are hard to find.
Both the guns themselves, and even replacement rifled slug barrels for popular shotguns like the Remington 870, Rem 1100, or the Mossberg 500.

I myself have a Mossberg 500 "Bantam" (youth model, but not the mini or tiniest size), in 20 gauge, and I have a cylinder-bore open-sighted barrel for it.
I've shot Foster slugs (full bore diameter, hollow skirt) thru it at 25 yards, and got very good groups, making me think that it "should be" accurate enough for big game hunting out to 75 yards.

So, with a rifled barrel, you're only going to get good accuracy out of saboted-bullet loads, right?
Basically a .45 caliber pistol bullet, weighing about 250 grains, pushed to about 1800 f.p.s., surrounded by a plastic shell.
I've always heard that sabot loads are the only kind that stabilize out of a rifled shotgun barrel.

A few minutes of Google searching shows you're right that they are hard to find.
Both the guns themselves, and even replacement rifled slug barrels for popular shotguns like the Remington 870, Rem 1100, or the Mossberg 500.

I myself have a Mossberg 500 "Bantam" (youth model, but not the mini or tiniest size), in 20 gauge, and I have a cylinder-bore open-sighted barrel for it.
I've shot Foster slugs (full bore diameter, hollow skirt) thru it at 25 yards, and got very good groups, making me think that it "should be" accurate enough for big game hunting out to 75 yards.

I have a single shot smooth bore. I have rifled slugs for it too. I want something more accurate. I know a good rifled barrel will hold 3 inch groups at 100 with hornady SST's. My 12 does. I'll probably trade my m&p 10 or my lady smith 357 for the right 20ga.

Haven't played with one but I wonder if this would work:

That's perfect. I think I'm gonna buy it.

I have the 535 slugster 12ga. Killed alot of deer with it. I'll probably use this 20 a few times when I go alone. Now I have to buy a scope, mounts, and ammo.

Reactions: GFB
I have the 535 slugster 12ga. Killed alot of deer with it. I'll probably use this 20 a few times when I go alone. Now I have to buy a scope, mounts, and ammo.

When I was thinking I'd have the chance to hunt on Gordon I was looking at those Savage 220 bolt action shotguns. Never did get either but they seem pretty nifty.

Back
Top Bottom