• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good 45 acp recipe ? 200gr Rainier

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
Any of you guys use the Rainier 200gr ball ammo? If so can you recommend a good recipe?
Powder ? brand and amount
primers ? brand

Any info would be great , thanks !

I like Universal Clays. It meters well, burns clean, works in a relatively wide range of applications, very importantly for me, it gives good case fill, most importantly, it yields some mighty impressive accuracy. I haven't used the Rainer bullets, but I believe I use about 6 grains with 200 grain cast and XTP's.

I like Universal Clays. It meters well, burns clean, works in a relatively wide range of applications, very importantly for me, it gives good case fill, most importantly, it yields some mighty impressive accuracy. I haven't used the Rainer bullets, but I believe I use about 6 grains with 200 grain cast and XTP's.

X2. I decided to try using Universal after reading some of chuckdogs posts about it and I couldn't agree more. Good case fill, accuracy, and much cleaner than the Bullseye I was using. I am a believer.

I can't find much load data on the rainier bullets, but I may need a newer manual. I am just getting set up to start loading, and these have good reviews and a pretty good price.

I just split the difference between FMJ and Lead for the plated bullets -- the lead data will keep you pretty close. The variances from gun to gun will be enough to make you wish that you had a chronograph.

From what I've read, as stated above most plated bullet makers recommend using the published starting charge data for the same weight jacketed bullets. I believe they recommend using the same data that you would for swagged lead bullets, or 10% below max if all you have is jacketed data. Most that I've read state the obvious. If their products are softer swagged lead that is copper plated pressures can rise quickly if you push them to hard. Plus, don't over crimp, as they are much softer than jacketed and hard cast bullets. I tend to stick with hard cast bullets. If I clean my bores well between switching to and from cast and jacketed bullets, I have no issues with leading. I've shot .454 Casull, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum using cast bullets loaded at hyper velocities without leading. Just don't mix jacketed and cast, as these two love one another. They stick to each other making bore cleaning a chore. My target pistols never see jacketed bullets. My carry pistols never see lead. I use the smaller diameter jacketed bullets in my carry autoloaders for upmost reliability in coming to full battery. I rarely carry a revolver anymore, but I usually carry cast bullets in them when I do. I know those cast bullets will penetrate, and do some serious damage to anything in their path. I use FMJ's in my .380's for penetration, as I understand this rounds limitations. I hope that it will keep a zombie off me long enough to get away, or to get to something much more substantial. Sorry to wander a little off topic. My wifes correct, sometimes I don't know when to just keep my mouth shut!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom