• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good bbq in Ga. 10 you must try article . Guess who made it ;)

Interesting, I hate to hear the poor reviews on Fresh Air, years ago I hunted near Forsythe and it was always a stop on the way home Sunday and I loved it. That was 30 years ago, so things change.

Slopes in Sandy Springs has been a weekly stop for me, chopped sammich and brisket (great fried okra)
Heirloom is pretty dang good
Fox Bros is kinda trendy, but good Q and the country fried ribs are awesome
Southern Soul is good stuff, usually after a long day fishing and several cold beers
If travelling on I16, Papa Bucks in Metter can't be beat for chopped or brisket.

Opinions are mine, but love arguing about barbeque, gives me a reason to sample more

I make the best Brunswick Stew there is. I've known how to make it since the 1970's.

I have two versions, the stir with a boat paddle cast iron cauldron whole hog that takes a weekend to make and the BGE smoked Boston Butt and chicken then to the pot it all goes with my made seasonings and fresh local vegetables.

I make my own BBQ sauce from Grandmother's recipe I've been taught to make since I was old enough to help. Whenever I do a butt or ribs, it's the one everyone uses over the store bought.

My grandmother used to make 10 gallons of stew and sell it all within an hour along with all her vegetables from the 10 acre garden.

I will make a batch for work and they eat it all. There's folks wiping the pot out with bread to get the last bits.

Sounds great! I've often told the tale of family reunions in the 1950s in Social Circle with the old couple making the brunswick stew in a big black cauldron, hung on a tripod over an open fire and cooked for 3 days while being stirred with a boat paddle. We didn't have money back them for a whole lot of pork so most of the meat was whatever the families could contribute, usually deer, cook, possum, squirrel, mystery meat, and sometimes a bit of pork. It was melt in your mouth good and every bit of it got ate before the day was over.

Meeting daughter, her husband (he’s a BBQ fanatic) and the grandturd at Southern Soul for lunch today. Will report back.
Well, seems overrated..
Pulled pork was no better than a hundred joints I’ve eaten at over the years.
Brisket was flavorful but slightly dry.
Sausage was very good.
Grilled pimento cheese sammich on white bread was very tasty.
Hoppin’ John was a little too moist, but great taste.
But the Brunswick stew…. too watery, too spicy hot, and who in (name of your favorite deity)’s name puts baby lima beans in stew??

Pulaski Heights BBQ, if you can look past the hipsterism and eat it with an objective mind, is very very good. Or was the last time I ate there a couple years ago.

Regarding Southern Soul in SSI, I think that on a week vacation after eating nothing but fried seafood and you need a break, Southern Soul tastes a lot better than if it were somewhere 200 miles inland. The secret to Southern Soul is to order it to go over the phone so you don't have to deal with the crowds, and they stuff those boxes too. I like it.

I'm a little surprised Community BBQ in ATL/Decatur isn't on the list. It is excellent, the sides, the brisket, the ribs, the pork, all very good.

I'm about to throw a loin on the smoker for sliced applewood-smoked pork sandwiches, and it will be better than anything on that list, I assure you.

Back
Top Bottom