• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good behavior bond

There is a lot more to the story, but the core of it is that there's a crazy old ***** terrorizing the neighborhood and if you dare to not kiss her ass, she abuses the judicial system to penalize you. Fortunately, I've been successful in convincing the Magistrate that they lack personal jurisdiction since I'm legally an SC resident.

The whole thing is a bizarre perversion of civil and criminal aimed at stripping the defendant of the ability to prepare a vigorous defense.

Tell them to buzz off and file criminal charges? What does the client's lawyer have to say?

Welcome to the 18th century. We don't need no stinking Bill of Rights.

Good behavior bonds used to be a lot more punitive when they were called Peace Bonds.

Lets just say that your little lady had someone on the side she wanted to see on the weekend. She could go down to the Justice of the Peace on Friday afternoon, swear out a Peace Bond, and you would be locked up until Monday morning when the next court hearings were held. Course by then, she needed you to go back to work, so she just wouldn't show up, and the Peace Bond was dismissed. Good times.

The Bond for Good Behavior is in fact a civil action, or quasi-civil action, as no crime is alleged. There is no discovery or other frills that apply to most civil actions, because the courts that issue Bonds for Good Behavior are not courts of records, which is the threshold for all the fou-fa-rah. I know that doesn't make much sense, so just take my word.

The law on Peace Bonds was reformed when they were changed to Bonds for Good Behavior several decades ago, but Georgia being Georgia, word may not have worked it's way to down to some of the more remote counties and sheriff's dept. The respondent (defendant) shouldn't be arrested before a hearing, and even after the hearing, he won't be arrested if he posts the bond. That's the biggest difference between the current Bond for Good Behavior and the old Peace Bond - with the old Peace Bond, you were arrested and held until you could go in front of the JP.

It's docketed as criminal, it's styled State of Georgia vs. xxxxx xxxxx and there's threat of loss of freedom......that's a criminal proceeding.
Even the clerks admitted it's a criminal action.

Back
Top Bottom