• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good book about what one motivated

MMatt30

Default rank <5000 posts
Hey.....pull my finger.
24   0
Reaction score
Georgia boy and a M1 Garand can do circa 1945 Philippines.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warrior-McKinneys-One-Man-Japanese/dp/0425215660

Private John McKinney grew up in south Georgia as the son of a sharecropper during the Great Depression. After leaving school in third grade his job was to hunt and fish to provide food for the family table. He became a marksman with a .22 as many a rabbit and squirrel found their final home in the family's frying pan.

Uncle Sam came calling and he found himself in the Philippines fighting against the Japanese. His one man heroic stand in the predawn hours of May 11, 1945 against hundreds of Japanese soldiers is the stuff of legends. When the battle was over the bodies of over 100 Japanese soldiers lay before him. However, unlike other more famous soldiers (Audie Murphy for example) Private McKinney's story is largely unknown.

If you are interested in WWII history this is must read. It also spends a good deal of time talking about his life as a boy in Depression era rural Georgia. The stories of his hunting exploits and accomplishments at such a young age are pretty cool as well.

Last edited:
Side note:

Audie Murphy is from my home county (Hunt) in TX. My hometown (Greenville) is the site for the Audie Murphy - American Cotton Museum (honoring the accomplishments of Audie Murphy and preserving the history of the American cotton industry).

Pretty cool to hear and learn about the stories of our veterans and national real-life heroes.

Thanks for the heads up. I read the first few pages on line, looks well written. Unfortunately, I will have to leave it in the shopping cart until i find another 19.00 worth of presents for free shipping. hmm... I could always use a new knife ;)

Back
Top Bottom