• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good M4 upper, any suggestions?

I have a PSA 16 inch, mid length gas, "dissipator" style (rifle length sights). It shoots very well at 300 yards. I've put 8 out of 10 on a 12" plate, using the sights and a USGI sling from the prone position. And the plate had only one chain, so it had a tendency to twirl when hit.

I have the Del-ton Dissipator. Good rifle. But looking for something Carbine gas system, fixed handguards, M4 profile, 16 barrel and the lighter the better.
IMG_20161220_213420.jpg

1 MOA out of a milspec CMV 4150 barrel is not something I have ever seen or experienced. I have found good mil spec barrels (Colt, BCM, Sabre, Etc) to be 2-4 MOA at best, and usually closer to 4 than 2.

1 MOA or better is probably going to require a stainless barrel and the right ammo fit.

Get a good barrel, then almost any quality upper will do. From what I understand only a handful of manufacturers actually make the upper recievers, most companies just buy them and re rebrand them, which is why most forged uppers have one of 5 or 6 forge marks on them. (someone correct me if I am mistaken) Maybe go for a billet. If you are wanting a 1moa gun you may want tighter specs than milspec. Most forged recievers are built to milspec tolerances, which have a little wiggle room by nature.

I have the Del-ton Dissipator. Good rifle. But looking for something Carbine gas system, fixed handguards, M4 profile, 16 barrel and the lighter the better.
View attachment 1064070
Why would you want a carbine gas system? When a midlength or some custom tuned intermediate will run just as reliably, and not bang your parts so hard??? And a 3 inch group at 300 yards is a 1moa group. So you want a sub MOA complete upper for less than $600?

Edit: Why do you think every AR company in the country is pumping out midlength gas systems? Because they tend to work best on 16 inch barrels. Carbine gas systems were designed for 14.5 inch barrels. Rifle length for 20 inch barrels.

Why would you want a carbine gas system? When a midlength or some custom tuned intermediate will run just as reliably, and not bang your parts so hard??? And a 3 inch group at 300 yards is a 1moa group. So you want a sub MOA complete upper for less than $600?

Edit: Why do you think every AR company in the country is pumping out midlength gas systems? Because they tend to work best on 16 inch barrels. Carbine gas systems were designed for 14.5 inch barrels. Rifle length for 20 inch barrels.

I know I want my cake and to eat it too. I would be ok with a 14.5 barrel. I am ok with going up to 6" groups at 300 yards but would like to do better. Not looking for another midlength AR.

Back
Top Bottom