• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good read tho many here probably have no clue

Most folks in the East will never be in terrain and at distances where it will matter. I never have. But my ballistics program on my phone: "Shooter", lets you point at the target, and it takes the angle into account in the calculation. Many rangefinders do too these days. So there are easy solutions if needed.

I agree with you though-- most folks have no clue. But most folks think heavier handgun bullets hit lower on targets, too!

Whats scary are the idiots I see at ranges that have an AD with no apparent concern where their round went. If your not shooting downhill here in the south theres a very good chance you misfired round will wind up far away from where you think.These folks that go to WMA's to shoot are a prime example of these types of occurances.For me its always been about safety 1st and foremost,all to often I see new folks treating firearms like toys with there bang bang mentality.There are quite a few outdoor ranges I quit going to because of lax regulation and enforcement of safety and the willingness to have a RO on site,Be safe !!!!

Yeh,but then it does come back down somewhere don't it ? I mean I get the sarcasm of your statement but lets face facts here it is happening and even with the supposed ballistic program to help you just can't tell where an AD round will go unless you have a mountain behing the target and are shooting downhill.Shame is folks have and will continue to be killed by foolish and stupid childlike behavior by less educated shooters unless we can teach them repect

Yeh,but then it does come back down somewhere don't it ? I mean I get the sarcasm of your statement but lets face facts here it is happening and even with the supposed ballistic program to help you just can't tell where an AD round will go unless you have a mountain behing the target and are shooting downhill.Shame is folks have and will continue to be killed by foolish and stupid childlike behavior by less educated shooters unless we can teach them repect

Agreed - I'm a safety fanatic and loathe most ranges because of stuff like this. I damn sure would not want to live downrange from one!

Yup I concur,I used to got to one that had a cross firing handgun area as to the rifle area and I would hear richochets all day off the steel targets they would shoot at,I asked the owner one day about it and his reply was a pistol round won't go far after hitting a steel target,that was my last day there

Most folks in the East will never be in terrain and at distances where it will matter. I never have. But my ballistics program on my phone: "Shooter", lets you point at the target, and it takes the angle into account in the calculation. Many rangefinders do too these days. So there are easy solutions if needed.

I agree with you though-- most folks have no clue. But most folks think heavier handgun bullets hit lower on targets, too!

there's plenty of spots here in the east where it matters, mainly depends on target size. if you are on a tower or ridge shooting 20 degrees down on a Deer sized target at 400 yards, no biggie but if you are shooting say a 6" plate rack it matters.

Last post was from my dealer account, but places where I have used it on the east cost: VA mountains, TN, and KY. Used it Fl from a tower on a small target, GA and Tx at 25 yards from elevated towers

Back
Top Bottom