• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good starter kit or junk?

The two I listed are the precision and precision 2. Sorry not trying to be lazy I'm on vacation with my daughter and don't want to be on my phone all day ignoring her.

I have the Lee Challenger Anniversary Breech Lock system. It has yet to let me down. You will need to get some case lube, a case trimmer, dies, tumbler and tumbler media to get started. You will also want to pick up a bullet puller and a better chamfer tool at some point. If you use the case trimmer from lee, you will also need to get a case length gauge for each caliber you plan to reload when you purchase that set of dies.

I have been loading since 1970 and still have the press I started with. It is a used Lyman Spartan (C Press) and is still my favorite press. I also have a RCBS Rockchucker, a Dillon 450 with upgrades, and two Dillon 550b's. All but one of the Dillon 550b's were bought used. I started with a press, a set of dies, and a powder scale, all used. If you check gun shows, flea markets, yard sales, or ebay you can find some good buys.

I don't know anything about Hornady's presses but I've tried their pistol dies. And if their quality is any indication of their press i would say BUY A LEE! Their so called lube free pistol dies are junk. both that i bought(.45 acp and 9mm luger) were so rough that i had to put most of weight on the press handle to size the cases and then pull up hard enough to rip the rims off to get them back out. And it wasent much better even WITH lube on the cases but none of the rims ripped off at least. i got rid of them quick and bought Lee carbide dies. Slick as silk they are compared to the hornady dies.

Back
Top Bottom