Good tackle box/turkey hunting pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
What would be a good tackle box and turkey hunting pistol that can shoot shell shot ammo? Main reason is for snakes and logger heads. Anyone who shoots a 3 1/2 knows you dont want to fire one off strait into the ground a few feet in front of you. And i have almost had a few fingers lost to logger heads and want them gone. I was thinkin a .22 or 9mm but don't know if they make shot shells for the 9.

You might wanna check the endangered species list before blasting turtles and snakes. All non venomous snakes in Georgia though not necessarily endangered are protected. Many of the Turtles are too. Since you are calling what is probably a freshwater snapping turtle a loggerhead which is a protected saltwater species you may want to do some research so you don't wind up in some super serious hot water yourself.
Here's a copy of the endangered species list as it pertains to reptiles.
(3) Reptiles:
(a) Caretta caretta: Loggerhead Sea Turtle (endangered)
(b) Chelonia mydas: Green Sea Turtle (threatened)
(c) Clemmys guttata: Spotted Turtle (unusual)
(d) Dermochelys coriacea: Leatherback Sea Turtle (endangered)
(e) Drymarchon couperi: Eastern Indigo Snake (threatened)
(f) Eretmochelys imbricata: Hawksbill Sea Turtle (endangered)
(g) Glyptemys muhlenbergii: Bog Turtle (endangered)
(h) Gopherus polyphemus: Gopher Tortoise (threatened)
(i) Graptemys barbouri: Barbour's Map Turtle (threatened)
(j) Graptemys geographica: Common Map Turtle (rare)
(k) Graptemys pulchra: Alabama Map Turtle (rare)
(l) Heterodon simus: Southern Hognose Snake (threatened)
(m) Lepidochelys kempii: Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle (endangered)
(n) Macrochelys temminckii: Alligator Snapping Turtle (threatened)
(o) Malaclemys terrapin: Diamondback Terrapin (unusual)

Most of the time I find a stick is sufficient to deal with snakes and turtles. Most wont bite you or take your fingers if you keep your hands to yourself and don't back em into a corner or threaten em.
Sticks are also plentiful and much quieter than handguns and cheaper than ammo.
BHJ

its in a private pond/lake we fish in. and when they take your lure they aint to kind about giving it back. The guy that owns the pond dont want them in it cause they eat the fish. I dont care how much the ammo cost, its alot easier to have a pistol on your side than a stick when your turkey hunting. if i have a brush with a snkae my hunt would be done that day anyway.

Just trying to help out. DNR aint real kind about giving back your truck, gun, boat, rods and reels or fine money back if they catch you killing endangered/protected species.
Good luck and stay safe
BHJ

will the .410 still have decent power after hitting the water?
I have hooked a snapper before and thought it was a mud cat and it hung out about 6in below surface.

Check out the Taurus "Judge". I'm thinking about one to have in my pocket for water moccasins when I'm trout fishing.

Uh, it would be very unusual to find any Cotton Mouths in a stream that will support fresh water trout. The water is to cold for them. As for other water snakes, they are not venomous and are protected. As BHJ pointed out, the DNR does not take it lightly if they catch you blasting protected species. The vast majority of "water moccasins" are harmless and are protected.

Uh, it would be very unusual to find any Cotton Mouths in a stream that will support fresh water trout. The water is to cold for them. As for other water snakes, they are not venomous and are protected. As BHJ pointed out, the DNR does not take it lightly if they catch you blasting protected species. The vast majority of "water moccasins" are harmless and are protected.

I shared that opine until I killed one while fishing Cooper Creek last year. He was 4' long and was not afraid of me. I splashed the water in front of him.. I killed him against the rocks with my net handle which was too D%##short. I came close to learning to walk on water. Waddaya gonna do if you think it's you or him?

i51.tinypic.com_2nm2n2b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom