• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

good trout lures for chattahoochee?

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
Need some recommendations here. I can catch trout all day long in the mountains, mostly using trout magnets. However, I cant seem to even get a bite out of the chattahoochee, no matter what I've tried. Went below the Buford dam Sunday afternoon and despite seeing fish jumping everywhere, I could not interest them in any of my trout magnets or spinners. I'm only interested in using artificial lures. I have zero desire to fool with worms, crickets, salmon eggs, corn, or dough baits. If anyone wants to join me on the river and show me how its done, that would be cool too. I'd rather not have to drive to the mountains every time I want to actually catch trout.

yo drew! i used to go below the damn all the time when i lived in Buford. you HAVE to have some chest waders to get out away from all the people to the holes in the middle of the river if you want a good chance of catching something there. you wont catch nothing next to shore unless they just stocked lol. I caught most of mine on panther martin spinners or small rapalas, but i caught the absolute most drifting a powerbait/salmon egg along the bottom weighted just enough so the current pulls it along.

And if you want, below the damn is a great place to learn to flyfish. get out in the middle and you have zero trees to worry about lol.

yo drew! i used to go below the damn all the time when i lived in Buford. you HAVE to have some chest waders to get out away from all the people to the holes in the middle of the river if you want a good chance of catching something there. you wont catch nothing next to shore unless they just stocked lol. I caught most of mine on panther martin spinners or small rapalas, but i caught the absolute most drifting a powerbait/salmon egg along the bottom weighted just enough so the current pulls it along.

And if you want, below the damn is a great place to learn to flyfish. get out in the middle and you have zero trees to worry about lol.

I've got chest waders and was using chest waders. As for fly fishing, I wouldn't even have a clue where to start with what gear to get or how to use it. Probably couldnt afford enough to even get started right now.

IMG_20200129_082121891.jpg
rapala f03rt and luhr jensen super duper.

It sounds like a hatch was going on with the jumping. It was likely a timing problem.
All these baits listed could slay them on any given day. If you did fly fish, you could try to match the hatch. Then you could probably catch them till you were tired of it.

Went for a couple hours today after lunch. Tried everything suggested. Caught 2 small browns on a super duper, had a few more chase it but wouldnt bite. Talked to another guy that said today was one of his worst outings there. Nothing else I tried worked at all.

Went for a couple hours today after lunch. Tried everything suggested. Caught 2 small browns on a super duper, had a few more chase it but wouldnt bite. Talked to another guy that said today was one of his worst outings there. Nothing else I tried worked at all.
What stretch of the river? Jones Bridge?

Back
Top Bottom