• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a legal question for my LEO friends out there or anyone that can help.

jnv500

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
11   0
Reaction score
Alright guys. One of my co-workers buys a really nice Colt 4 inch 1911 from a friend. He takes it to his local gunsmith for a refinishing and the smith also has a Pawn Shop. He runs the serial on his gun and gets a hit that it was reported stolen. The Smith calls the local PD and the detective states he would be around to pick up the pistol. After 24 hours, the smith calls my friend and explains the scenario. He tells my friend that since the PD hasn't come to pick up the pistol he would give it back to him, but that he should call the PD and get instructions.

Finally the PD gets calls my friend back and says that the pistol was reported stolen in another county, back in 05' but they don't have any other details. They instructed him to drop off the pistol and they would send it to the other PD.

What should my friend do? He spoke with the person he bought it from and he said that he got it from his mom that got it found it in a couch. She believed it belonged to her ex boyfriend which was an unsavory character.

So far it looks like my buddy is out cash and no gun...what do ya'll think.

What should my friend do? He spoke with the person he bought it from and he said that he got it from his mom that got it found it in a couch. She believed it belonged to her ex boyfriend which was an unsavory character.

Those couch guns always lose!

Anytime you buy stolen goods you are SOL.....Even if you were 100% unaware....Whether it be Firearms, Bows, Cars, trucks, Boats, electronics, 4 Wheeler, Motorcycle, etc. Anything that they can prove was theirs by serial number or what have you goes back to them.....And you are left with no money and no way of legally forcing someone you bought it from to give your money back..... You have to be careful.

Don't second guess it, Count it as a lesson learned and turn it in. Then go back to your friend and get your $$$$ back since he sold you the stolen gun to begin with.

Tell you friend that you'll turn him in for selling stolen merchandise If he doesn't give your Money Back. But I'll bet your SOL though, friend probably don't have your money, and LEO get's the gun.

Back
Top Bottom