• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a legal question for my LEO friends out there or anyone that can help.

This is a good reason for a bill of sale.

If the buyer had a signed bill of sale for the pistol (stating that the pistol was legally owned by the seller), he could recoup his cost from the seller. If the seller refused to refund the money for the stolen gun, the BOS would stand up in court as a legal document.

But if there is no BOS, then he is SOL. Turn it in or face the legal consequences.

You wouldn't even want to know how much money we've lost at our store unknowingly purchasing stolen goods. Lately it's been sterling flatware taken from family. If the cops come get it, I'm out. Try taking a poor felon to court...

Firearm must be turned in or you'll end up in jail yourself....seller must return money to you however if you have no bill of sale, you are dependant on your friend being honest and doing the right thing..otherwise you'll have a hard time unless you can actually prove the friends prior possession (others that can testify as witnesses to the sale or maybe he offered for sale to them or they have seen him with it, but they must be able to identify the weapon by serial number or by distinguishing marks such as scratches, after market parts changes etc.)
I'm a 32 year retired LEO, this is the way it works and why I never transer or receive ANYTHING of value without a bill of sale.
Anyone not wanting to give me a bill of sale makes me wonder why and they can keep their item and I keep my money. I just don't need the potential problem and expense.
Let me give you an even more important reason for paperwork.
When you turn this item in, it will be sent to the state crime lab for ballistics testing and comparison to bullets removed from victims of assault and homicide and if it were to match and you can't prove where and when you acquired it, you have a mega problem (all of a sudden you are a suspect in a homicide) .
MAKE IT A POINT TO TURN IT IN ASAP!!! YOU CAN'T DO IT TOO SOON!!!!

I would have to agree with the other guys. TURN IT IN!! LESSON LEARNED! AND their are plenty of more guns you can buy without having to worry about stuff like this.

Glad to hear that were no charges filled for theft by receiving stolen property. In other cases that I know the PD responding to the pawn shop will charge the person attempting to sell/pawn the item.
I second the opinion that a signed bill of sale is the best way to go. It must contain the date, time and the proper ID info such as Driver or Firearms license, serial no,model, color, caliber et all.
Had known of a PD officer that sold a gun at the gun show without a receipt to a guy who it turned out that was associated with a terrorist group. I think the Feds charged him with supplying a firearm to a convicted felon, and something w/ the involvement in the support of terror organization. Lost his job, wife, house and life savings fighting the case. Last I heard he ended with some deal that involved serving time at the Federal Club for Men. That is way I will rather sell to a dealer at great loss or to someone with a weapons license willing to do a bill of sale. It may not be a legal requirement but it sure saves a lot of headaches in the long run, specially now with our tough time and all the nut jobs out there that are going postal and killing indiscriminate women, children and those that can not protect themselves. As a result ALL of us are being blamed for actions of the insane, mexican cartels and jihadists on a mission to get their virgins in a Mumbai style attack. Protect yourself, the society and our sport by doing your part in ensuring that the guns you sell do not fall in the wrong hands and you the seller do not end up in the news or worse yet in jail for exercising our Constitutional rights and provide more ammunition to those politicians that work hard to ensure that those rights are severely restrained or completely eliminated.
Just my humble opinion, and .02 cent of info adjusted for inflation.

Back
Top Bottom