• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
About six months ago I mentioned to a very good buddy that I would like to have one of these. The next time we were together he told me to come out to his truck cause he had something for me. WELL, there it was.

I have not had an occasion when I was going to have enough guests to devour a 70# pig. Well the 4th of July is coming soon and it is going to happen!!!!

Now for where I need some help. Many of the YouTube videos as well as on line recipes call for a MOJO injection and rub. My wife advised me that she was not a fan of MOJO. I cook on a BGE often and have the rub that I use on butts but wanted to reach out to my ODT brothers for suggestions on injection recipes. Have any of you cooked a pig in one of these? Suggestions? Input? What went right? Did anything go wrong?

Thanks in advance. Happy cooking!!
20210606_105517.jpg

They’re pretty easy to use. Follow the directions on the website. There’s also a few YouTube videos of people using them. Check them out for tips. Get a hog that is already butterflied. Trying to split the spine yourself is a pain in the ass. Set a timer. Write a checklist for each hour before you start drinking.
Also:

1. Weight the charcoal. When it says 10 pounds, it means 10 pounds, not 9, not 10.5.
2. Let the hog get to ambient temp. This takes several hours. The first one I bought was 70 lbs and frozen, ‘cause the ****heads at the store lied to me. The second one i got the hog Friday morning for a Saturday cook so it had time to thaw. Pop it full of whatever marinade you want and rub some adobo in the cavity. Leave it in the Caja China over night with 2 or 3 bags of ice in your garage (not inside, the box will leak). The morning you plan on cooking take the bags out and open it up.
3. Don’t lift the lid except the ONE time you turn the hog. Letting heat out will increase the cooking time by an hour or more.
4. Use a good quality digi thermometer and plug it into the fattest part of the ham. 185 degrees.
5. It will take an hour after cooking if finished to cool off and break it down.
6. Invite more friends. It’s more meat than you think. I’m available.

Get heat gloves and 2 oven mitts. That coal lid gets HOT.
I also found using some aluminum pans under the hog caught a lot of the fat runoff and made cleanup slightly easier. It’s greasy and messy but a lot of fun.

Thanks for your input. That invite may be coming your way!!!!!

I guess I will just look around for some injection that sounds good. I have a rub my son makes to put on pork butter that is mighty fine.

That will make just over half gallon which should do a 70# pig well. Do you heat it when mixing it together?

These are great suggestions, keep them coming!!! I am planning to cook on 4th of July so I am getting ready early I know but don't want to forget anything.

I will post pictures afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom