• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a newer SIG P229?

A major Fed agency has SIG Armorers working to replace the firing pin positioning pin in all of their affected weapons, including picking up the tab on shipping the firearms back and forth across the country. Other agencies are looking into this as well.

I found all that with a quick google search.

What insight do you have into the actual issue, or are you just posting the same warning on every gun board?

A spiral (snail) pin is not the same as a roll pin as much as a roll pin is not the same as a solid pin.

I've posted all that I'm willing to post. Whether I am posting the same issue on other boards or not doesn't matter. Trying to help out some folks while not getting my own ass in a sling. I am an Amorer with a Fed agency.

SIG made the change from a solid pin to a snail pin since I went to Armorer's School. It was a solid pin when I went through.

The issue is with the snail-type firing pin positioning pins. If it is not a solid pin, contact SIG.

I've posted all that I'm willing to post. Whether I am posting the same issue on other boards or not doesn't matter. Trying to help out some folks while not getting my own ass in a sling. I am an Amorer with a Fed agency.

SIG made the change from a solid pin to a snail pin since I went to Armorer's School. It was a solid pin when I went through.

The issue is with the snail-type firing pin positioning pins. If it is not a solid pin, contact SIG.

Fair enough

SIG started with a 2-piece roll pin and switched to a much more expensive solid pin with an enlarged, splined head on the left side. They wouldn't have switched to a more expensive pin if there wasn't a problem with the roll pin. There were issues with the center price of the 2-piece roll pin walking out and/or breaking under use, I do believe.

Years later, they switched from the more expensive solid pin to a snail pin, which is not the same as a roll pin. A snail pin (there are other names for it as well) is of one-piece construction.......it's just coiled up around itself. In most applications, it's a good, solid piece. Works just fine, and cheaper than the solid pin with the splined head.

In my agency, all the replacing is being done at HQ-level, using SIG factory Armorer's that they are sending over just to do this work. They're keeping it as quiet as possible and not saying much about it. Personally, in my office we have not seen an issue with the firing pin positioning pin, AFAIK. There is more than one possible issue with the snail type pin, amongst them:
1. breaking
2. walking out due to size fluctuation
3. springs catching on a sharp edge of the pin and causing misfires

Again, I have not personally seen any of these issues, but other LE Armorers that I know have reported it and SIG is going through a lot of trouble to replace the pins with the older, solid pin.

CM, I've seen the different variations over the years from my dad's old guns until now. The snail pins are definitely more robust than the old split roll pins, no clue about the strength difference between the solid pins and snail (wound) pins. I understand the principle of the snail as the tension should hold it in place and the additional windings stiffen along the axis. Do you happen to know or did the other armorers document their findings in regards to wear and round count? I ponder if the size fluctuation and breakage are all based on a bad batch run done for the agencies that may not have necessarily trickled down to the masses.

If you have a newer SIG P229 with a roll pin as the firing pin positioning pin, you may wanna contact SIG. If your firing pin positioning pin is a solid pin, no worries.

Possibly pertains to other models as well, but I cannot say for sure.

I have 8 sigs, that includes 3 Legions, all of which use roll pins and see absolutely no reason to worry about it.

SIG started with a 2-piece roll pin and switched to a much more expensive solid pin with an enlarged, splined head on the left side. They wouldn't have switched to a more expensive pin if there wasn't a problem with the roll pin. There were issues with the center price of the 2-piece roll pin walking out and/or breaking under use, I do believe.

Years later, they switched from the more expensive solid pin to a snail pin, which is not the same as a roll pin. A snail pin (there are other names for it as well) is of one-piece construction.......it's just coiled up around itself. In most applications, it's a good, solid piece. Works just fine, and cheaper than the solid pin with the splined head.

In my agency, all the replacing is being done at HQ-level, using SIG factory Armorer's that they are sending over just to do this work. They're keeping it as quiet as possible and not saying much about it. Personally, in my office we have not seen an issue with the firing pin positioning pin, AFAIK. There is more than one possible issue with the snail type pin, amongst them:
1. breaking
2. walking out due to size fluctuation
3. springs catching on a sharp edge of the pin and causing misfires

Again, I have not personally seen any of these issues, but other LE Armorers that I know have reported it and SIG is going through a lot of trouble to replace the pins with the older, solid pin.
I appreciate the info sir, thank you for looking out.

I have 8 sigs, that includes 3 Legions, all of which use roll pins and see absolutely no reason to worry about it.

We got that from the other thread in which you called him a liar, acted like a petulant child and then promptly closed the thread to avoid further discussion on this subject. Now that we're all aware of how you feel, please make this your last post in this thread unless you have actual information from a credible source regarding the subject.

We got that from the other thread in which you called him a liar, acted like a petulant child and then promptly closed the thread to avoid further discussion on this subject. Now that we're all aware of how you feel, please make this your last post in this thread unless you have actual information from a credible source regarding the subject.

Please mind your own business. I didn't called names anyone. There's nothing in my post that's offensive or misleading. It's a forum. Everyone's place to talk.

CM, I've seen the different variations over the years from my dad's old guns until now. The snail pins are definitely more robust than the old split roll pins, no clue about the strength difference between the solid
pins and snail (wound) pins. I understand the principal of the snail as the tension should hold it in place and the additional windings stiffen along the axis. Do you happen to know or did the other armorers document their findings in regards to wear and round count? I ponder if the size fluctuation and breakage are all based on a bad batch run done for the agencies that may not have necessarily trickled down to the masses.

Always possible that it's a problem with a certain batch of guns and may not effect all. It's happened before. For a while we had recoil springs that were fraying and unwinding at low round counts. Then we had a rash of extractors that were breaking.

There's got to be a record of it somewhere. My agency contacted SIG about the issue, so they had to have data to back it up. SIG concurred, or at least acquiesced, and is replacing the pins. It's taking a long time to do it. My 5th issued P229 was one of the multitude sent to HQ for SIG to "fix". That was over a month ago and I haven't got it back yet.

SIG makes great stuff, definitely one of my favorite gunmakers, but they all have problems now and again.

Back
Top Bottom