• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a newer SIG P229?

Always possible that it's a problem with a certain batch of guns and may not effect all. It's happened before. For a while we had recoil springs that were fraying and unwinding at low round counts. Then we had a rash of extractors that were breaking.

There's got to be a record of it somewhere. My agency contacted SIG about the issue, so they had to have data to back it up. SIG concurred, or at least acquiesced, and is replacing the pins. It's taking a long time to do it. My 5th issued P229 was one of the multitude sent to HQ for SIG to "fix". That was over a month ago and I haven't got it back yet.

SIG makes great stuff, definitely one of my favorite gunmakers, but they all have problems now and again.

I concur on Sig making great stuff, if indeed it wasn't just a batch problem which it doesn't sound like to me, I hope they do the right think and trickle it down to us civilians. I wouldn't think they would go back to the solid pin unless it was specifically requested and they thought it was the better way to go. I was thinking that the machining tolerances for the solid pin are different in that the splined side has to be a bit tighter by a few thou to engage the splines fully but I could be thinking incorrectly on that. If that is the case though, I can really see why they want their own guys to do the work as it'll probably take something reaming or a oversized solid pin to be backwards compatible. Thanks for the insight though, something to be on the lookout for.

I concur on Sig making great stuff, if indeed it wasn't just a batch problem which it doesn't sound like to me, I hope they do the right think and trickle it down to us civilians. I wouldn't think they would go back to the solid pin unless it was specifically requested and they thought it was the better way to go. I was thinking that the machining tolerances for the solid pin are different in that the splined side has to be a bit tighter by a few thou to engage the splines fully but I could be thinking incorrectly on that. If that is the case though, I can really see why they want their own guys to do the work as it'll probably take something reaming or a oversized solid pin to be backwards compatible. Thanks for the insight though, something to be on the lookout for.

On the guns with the solid pin, the pin has to be installed from left to right, and removed from right to left. Basically, the head with the splines needs to be on the left side.

No matter what kind of pin you have, if you ever remove it, you don't put the old pin back it........it gets a new one.

How bout the 239?
My 229 has the solid, but the 239 has the roll pin.

226 has roll pins but different applications.

I've
On the guns with the solid pin, the pin has to be installed from left to right, and removed from right to left. Basically, the head with the splines needs to be on the left side.

No matter what kind of pin you have, if you ever remove it, you don't put the old pin back it........it gets a new one.

I've taken them apart before, but what I was getting at was that from my understanding (since I've never gone from one pin type to the other) was that it was ok replace a roll or splined pin with the new snail but not the opposite and from my understanding was actually recommended, but if doing the reverse it would require an actualy armorer because the splined pin was tapered. Or if I'm incorrect then the splined pins aren't tapered and only locked in place by the splines, just asking.

I have the snail pin in a '14 M11-A1. I could just order the part below and save the hassle of sending back

i.imgur.com_YA48RYz.png

Thanks for that pic, I've been at work all day and don't have access to any of them to look at what I was talking about. It looks like the splined is just slightly larger which is why I was thinking that end was a few thousandths larger and part of the reason that you can't or they wouldn't recommend the average Joe replacing a snail with a solid. Curiosity has gotten the better of me on this one now. Good night folks...tbc

Thanks for the update. The info is very much appreciated.

My only P229 (SAS Gen2 .357SIG) isn't a duty gun (none are lolz), has the snail pin, and has a relatively low round count. I think I'll wait this one out a bit if they're taking that long to fix guns. Then again, summer is coming and I mostly carry a P938 in warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom