• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got a Ruger Old Army revolver, and thinking about this conversion cylinder ....

Troy Brown

Space Force Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
Old Army.jpg

I got his revolver from my father after he had passed.....
To tell the truth, I don't have the experience for loading and shooting it. But I have read about it, seen all the youtube videos, and talked with a few old timers about it at the shops enough that I know how it goes.
But I have always been hesitant.
And actually, most ranges around here don't allow them, or frown on them for the smoke they produce.
So it has been sitting in the back of the safe for over a decade.
I recently came across a website that actual sells the conversion cylinders for them:
https://www.kirstkonverter.com/ruger-old-army.html
This is very interesting, and it has my interest peeked now. I'm concidering it I suppose.

My question to you guys is, has anyone done this, or had known anyone that did it?
Does it really work?
Is it worth it?
The $335.00 + price tag really turns me off from doing it, but I figured if I am going to keep this piece, I should either do this so I can shoot it often at the range or else go with one of you guys somewhere and get "hands on" practice doing blackpowder shooting.

Any thoughts are appreciated.....

There are arguments for going either way. To me, I would consider that revolver a keepsake - something that provides a bridge to my memories of my dad. If you feel that way about that revolver, it is much more valuable than a firearm. Now, if replacing the cylinder gets you to go out and shoot it and that allows you to transverse that bridge more often, than I would get the cylinder shoot it while at the same time honoring your father's memory.

Back
Top Bottom