• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got any persimmon trees?

These are NATIVE persimmon trees. I assume you bought some type of Japanese persimmon?
You'll have a lot less issues with natives. They simply grow wild and I've got more than I can shake a stick out on my place (vast majority males unfortunately).
I've never personally used these people but know those that have and they are very pleased with them. http://www.wildlifegroup.com/shop-for-persimmon-trees/
Get them in the ground in about a month or so....
Where do you live? (I am in Woodstock.) And by "native", do you mean I can find them in the woods around here? What are the harvesting practices around GA? Do people look for these in the woods and transplant? Is it legal to transplant?

Glad I read this. We have hundreds of the native ones (judging by the size of the fruit) growing wild on our property. Did not know until now why some did not fruit. I really appreciate the info. You are right about the deer, they flock to these things.

Where do you live? (I am in Woodstock.) And by "native", do you mean I can find them in the woods around here? What are the harvesting practices around GA? Do people look for these in the woods and transplant? Is it legal to transplant?
I'm in Gwinnett. There is one particular persimmon species, Diospyros virginiana, that is native to the U.S. It is referred to as the 'common' or 'native' persimmon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diospyros_virginiana
You certainly could transplant one but it would be much less effort and gamble to buy a sexed tree for a few bucks. This link, shows container trees for as little as $3. http://www.wildlifegroup.com/shop-for-persimmon-trees/

That sir is a mighty fine gesture..I need to find out for sure,how to confirm sex of tree.
I'm not 100% sure the Japanese trees will display the same characteristics as the pictures of the natives I posted but I suspect they will. Have you noticed if they flower at all? The flowers on the native trees are pretty hard to notice even when in bloom if you aren't looking specifically for them.

Glad I read this. We have hundreds of the native ones (judging by the size of the fruit) growing wild on our property. Did not know until now why some did not fruit. I really appreciate the info. You are right about the deer, they flock to these things.
Opposums, foxes, coons and coyotes REALLY love them. If you want some seeds, every pile of yote dung is full of them in the late fall. ;)

I'm not 100% sure the Japanese trees will display the same characteristics as the pictures of the natives I posted but I suspect they will. Have you noticed if they flower at all? The flowers on the native trees are pretty hard to notice even when in bloom if you aren't looking specifically for them.
Never seen any flowers, I have hunted next to one at the hunting camp, a doe was eating fruit on the grown and she was some kind of drunk..Seems the fruit had fermented.

Back
Top Bottom