• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got any persimmon trees?

Where do you get yours? We planted 4 during the spring of 2014, and the last of them has now died. We got them from a nursery in McMinnville, TN, and we also bought peach, pear, apple and cherry, and slowly they have almost all died, so we think it's the nursery.

The Persimmon trees we purchased were only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around, and 3-4 feet tall, but those were the only ones available. I would love to plant more, but where do you buy yours?

http://www.gatrees.org/reforestation/ordering-information/

They have good prices but I've ordered trees from them before (though not persimmons). The root structures were NOTICEABLY less full/defined than trees I've gotten from other nurseries.
For example, ordered bare root native crab apples from there and a commercial nursery and planted them at the same place and the same time. The survival and growth rates were no comparison.

If it has fruit (of any size) it's a female, not a male. If the fruit are small (smaller than a golf ball) they are native/common persimmons.
Japanese types are generally speaking around the size of an apple (in a variety of colors and shapes).

They are the size of peas. Never getting near the size of a regular persimmon. The leaves and bark are identical to fruit-bearing persimmon trees.

No. No fruit now. Once the "fruit" begins to fall, it drops all of it within a few days. I had some photos at one time but not sure I can locate them now. I gave up and just decided it was just some mutant persimmon tree.

No. No fruit now. Once the "fruit" begins to fall, it drops all of it within a few days. I had some photos at one time but not sure I can locate them now. I gave up and just decided it was just some mutant persimmon tree.
So it already had 'fruit' this year and dropped already?

I had a couple giant persimmon trees at my old house in the back yard but we had no deer there.
I would love to have them at my new house in the back yard but I've got enough oak trees and the deer go just as crazy over my acorns so I just set up near a nice funnel in one of the oaks and it's eeny, meeny, miney- mo time.

Back
Top Bottom