• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got any persimmon trees?

If you do, and they are females (fruit producing), you've no doubt found out what a magnet they are for deer (and pretty much every other critter). Shot a nice buck last year directly under my favorite one.The frustrating thing has always been finding a new tree in what looks like a good spot during your spring scouting (or turkey hunting) and not have any clue whether it was a male or female. You may have even read that you can not tell the difference from just looking at the tree and have to wait until they fruit. Pffft! From simple observation I've discovered you CAN tell, with 100% accuracy, once they have blossoms or their buds (spring time).

Here you go.

Male have LOTS of TINY buds and very close together. They are very easy to identify.

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsmale.jpg

Females have far fewer buds (as each contains a potential fruit) and they are much larger and spread out.

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemale2.jpg

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemale1.jpg

And the actual blossoms from the female....

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemaleblossoms.jpg

Yeah, this would have been a lot more relevant 5 months ago but still... ;)
I'll try and remember to bump next spring.
Working on my trees yesterday. Bumping for the deer hunters... or just those that like tasty treats. :) It's THAT time of year.

The natural persimmon trees on my property are like none I have ever seen. They are everywhere. Where I'm hunting we have an abundance of scrub oak, pine, and persimmon. We also have more natural muscadine than I have ever seen anywhere else. It is great for early/bow season, and the acorns are good for November.

Thanks for the tips on telling males from females, Geaux. I have never really thought about it. I have a couple steady producers located just by seeing their yield in the past.

I just threw out a bunch of red clover seed in an old road bed. Its a two year seed and can be grown by simply throwing it on the ground. I will toss some more out in August or September.

Now if I can only find more time to hunt!

Back
Top Bottom