• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.

Glad it ended that way but I'd be letting the owner know that is the one and only close call you intend to tolerate. They've already told you the dog bites. They can either keep it restrained as the law requires, you can be a chew toy, or....
To (not) answer your question, do you have to wait to be physically assaulted to defend yourself?

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.
**** that waiting thing. I'm a go full on scared cop on that bitch it gets within 20' of me.

1628778035835.png

No! A poor child could be ruined for life! Call the cops! No second chance! **** that ! Put it down!

Back
Top Bottom