• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

You can shove your arm down a dogs throat no matter the breed and they wont be able to bite you and will instantly back off. But I get why so many people run to the instantly. Very weak mettle is common and people don't have any value for any life other than their own.
This is what I was taught to do, make a fist and drive as far down his throat as you can.

If you run, you'll only die tired!! Brake cleaner works better than pepper spray! The foaming wasp spray that shoots 20 feet is also a good choice but brake cleaner is still cheaper..

I had a bicycle paper route when I was 14, worse job I ever had. No leash laws then, most of the dogs were great, looked forward to seeing me every day. A couple thought they were bad asses, and would chase up on our bicycles.

Dad was a paper boy in the 1920l's, no pepper spray or other "less lethal" means to deal with dogs.

He had a solution that would stop a running dog in its tracks, and it was literally a solution, Take household ammonia and fill a water gun with it, and hit any running dog in the mouth and nose with it, it immediately takes the wind out of him and he can't breath. The only thing I regret about using it is that Super Soakers hadn't been invented yet.

Positive about using it, once you use it on a dog, next time he sees you, he tucks tail and runs away.

Would you mind sharing what setup you have for jogging. Would it be like a Shield or G43 in a fanny pack or shoulder sling.

Ruger lcp in a pocket holster in a ziplock bag to protect it from sweat. I stick it in the waistband of my gym shorts and then wrap an old leather belt around the outside to keep it tight against my body when I run. It's a crude setup but the only one that I have found to be effective and apparently I can still draw it in an emergency without any trouble.

It's probably already been mentioned, but running is the wrong thing to do in most situations, since it will trigger an instinctive reaction in the dog (and most precators) to attack. Running is what prey do.

You could also carry pepper spray or bear spray of some kind like the mail carriers have with them for these encounters.

I had a bicycle paper route when I was 14, worse job I ever had. No leash laws then, most of the dogs were great, looked forward to seeing me every day. A couple thought they were bad asses, and would chase up on our bicycles.

Dad was a paper boy in the 1920l's, no pepper spray or other "less lethal" means to deal with dogs.

He had a solution that would stop a running dog in its tracks, and it was literally a solution, Take household ammonia and fill a water gun with it, and hit any running dog in the mouth and nose with it, it immediately takes the wind out of him and he can't breath. The only thing I regret about using it is that Super Soakers hadn't been invented yet.

Positive about using it, once you use it on a dog, next time he sees you, he tucks tail and runs away.

I had never received dog attack training before so I wasn't sure what's the correct response was. Also, I definitely don't want to hurt anyone's pet but it's not my responsibility to prevent someone else's dog from getting seriously injured or killed while attacking me on public property.

Owner sounds like an idiot. Hes bitten people before but I still let him loose?? Ken Nugent would have a field day with him.
Yes, the second unprovoked bite makes the homeowner or renter liable and their insurance will cover UNLESS the dog breed is specifically excluded by the dog owner's policy. Most major policies exclude about 10 aggressive breeds. My co-counsel in Florida has a 2 million demand on a dog bite case because the victim not only got scars, tendon damage in his hand, but had to have back surgery. In Atlanta, 100k to 1mm+ cases aren't uncommon when scars and surgery is involved (juries punish dog owner's if kids are injured).

I have kids. I’ve read stories where kids were mauled by a dog. What if it was yours playing in your yard? That alone answers the question for me. There is NO excuse to not have a dangerous dog properly restrained especially after it’s already bitten someone. If this is your neighborhood you should be able to feel safe. I would get the city or county involved.

I forgot all about ammonia, that'd be sweet in a paintball..

Like someone else said you don't have to be physically bitten to defend yourself, in whatever means necessary,
I bet you'll remember that house next time you run by it, I would be looking twice

Back
Top Bottom