• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

My Lilly loves everyone but I dont give her the opportunity to act out when in front area its a short leash and conversation with anyone who wants to approach her,cause she gonna love on you. Axe Ottoman
Resized_20210514_203622.jpeg

I've never been attacked by a dog before so I didn't know what the official protocol was. I was just trying to get away to avoid an incident. Also, I had just finished running over four miles so I didn't have any sticks, jackets, bear mace, or scooby snacks with me. All I had was my LCP with a full magazine and a huge dose of adrenaline. I did my best to get away without having to kill someone's pet and fortunately that's exactly how it ended. From now on when I go running I'll be sure to carry a duffel bag full of anti dog gear with me.

Also, Animal Control has been notified. They asked me if I wanted to press charges for a leash law violation but I told them that a simple written report to go on record would be plenty. They emailed me a form and I will send it back to them after work. The lady that I spoke with also said that I was well within my right to shoot the dog and she would have definitely shot it had she been in my situation. Hopefully there won't be a next time but at least now I'll be better prepared
It's not rocket science, and I'm gonna keep being a broken record here I guess. If you're really concerned about it just carry even some cheap gas station pepper spray. Smaller and lighter than your guns spare mag.

A shot in the dogs face and he'll remember you a year later I promise. For the love of god don't swing objects at it lol.

Or if you want a big headache, just shoot the mfer next time. I really don't care. But a small shot of pepper spray to the face solves all your problems and doesn't even slow you down.

I've never been attacked by a dog before so I didn't know what the official protocol was. I was just trying to get away to avoid an incident. Also, I had just finished running over four miles so I didn't have any sticks, jackets, bear mace, or scooby snacks with me. All I had was my LCP with a full magazine and a huge dose of adrenaline. I did my best to get away without having to kill someone's pet and fortunately that's exactly how it ended. From now on when I go running I'll be sure to carry a duffel bag full of anti dog gear with me.

You made the right decisions, but it's hard in the moment to determine what the animal (or peoples) intentions are and how far they want to escalate it. There are hand held pepper spray that's very light and you can tuck it in your pocket during a run. My wife has some on her all the time. I should have carried it when I was having my dog issue, but I am an emotional, chest thumping, moron.

It's not rocket science, and I'm gonna keep being a broken record here I guess. If you're really concerned about it just carry even some cheap gas station pepper spray. Smaller and lighter than your guns spare mag.

A shot in the dogs face and he'll remember you a year later I promise. For the love of god don't swing objects at it lol.

Or if you want a big headache, just shoot the mfer next time. I really don't care. But a small shot of pepper spray to the face solves all your problems and doesn't even slow you down.
What should the next person do that dog attacks, if they do not carry pepper spray?
Sounds like animal control is on OP's side, so he should not have a bigger headache, anyways.

So what your saying is pick up the first thing I find and swing it at the dog? Lol I’m jk with you

Yeah I really don't want to kill someone's pet. Glad I didn't have to

Warning shot? Are you kidding me? Have you seen the price of 380 ammo lately?
Not to mention, where is that shot going to end up? You going to shoot in the air? Not a good idea. Shoot at the ground, maybe if dirt but not on asphalt. Danger of ricochet is just as bad as danger of shooting in the air. If you feel like you have to shoot, make every shot count in any situation.

Not to mention, where is that shot going to end up? You going to shoot in the air? Not a good idea. Shoot at the ground, maybe if dirt but not on asphalt. Danger of ricochet is just as bad as danger of shooting in the air. If you feel like you have to shoot, make every shot count in any situation.

Theres a video on Youtue, from active self protection, where a neighbors dog gets out. There is a lady across the street putting her 5 year old in the car. The dog comes up, and she shoots several times missing the dog. The rounds richocette and hit her 5 year old in the stomach. You can hear the kid screaming on the video. The dog runs back inside. The mother was arrested for child endagerment. The child lived.

I will say I've been attacked a few times, and never used lethal force. But I was also completely caught off guard and surprised by the attack and bite pain to where I'm not sure if I had a gun I'd have hit them with it. They happened so fast I didn't have a lot of time to respond. Both times I resorted to physically striking the dog until it ran off.

You always think of the would of could of should of after the fact. I remember one instance I had a pocket knife in my right pocket but it had clamped down on my right hand, I couldn't for the life of me get that damn knife out :lol:

I do like the pepper spray idea, easy to carry when you're out jogging and works like a charm on dogs and people.

What should the next person do that dog attacks, if they do not carry pepper spray?
Sounds like animal control is on OP's side, so he should not have a bigger headache, anyways.
The next person should do what's best for them. And yes, animal control should take of the situation as well. You crack me up the way something is always "taking sides".

I "take his side" to I guess, if that makes you happy. Yes, the owner should control their dog, yes animal control should enforce leash laws, yes you are completely in your rights to shoot an aggressive dog at any point it's reasonable to believe that dog is gonna harm you.

All I'm simply saying, is a little pepper spray solves the immediate problem of an aggressive dog on you, and you don't even have to stop your run/walk or plans for day. Just keep on keeping on like nothing happened.

Now please go ahead and quote me with another irrelevant story or point, looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom