• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.
As a k-9 handler. The mildest form or aggression is running. So I know it is counter Intuitive. But first stop running. To the animal you appear as ‘prey’ when you run away.

The next thing is if walking away isn’t working. Stand your ground. If you look up bear attacks especially polar bear. The worst thing to do is retreat. The same with a dog, same instincts, same responses.

As a K-9 handler, I know it actually takes alot to encourage a dog to bite. When you are dealing with a dog on the street. It is not protecting its owner or its property, But you don’t know if it has a history of biting or if it has been trained to bite. So the best option is to be big, be loud, and stand you ground. Yelling “go home” in a command voice, while waving your arms, is a far better choice.

OK so how to avoid an attack has been covered. It's important we give some attention to what should be done in the event of an actual bite. ODT wisdom states that If the dog does latch on, put your finger up its butt.
At 13 years old I didn't have a gun all I could do is finally get a hand full of nuts and squeezed until that Doberman started screaming and he ran off. Well he was trying to run........

OK so how to avoid an attack has been covered. It's important we give some attention to what should be done in the event of an actual bite. ODT wisdom states that If the dog does latch on, put your finger up its butt.
What if he likes it?! :shocked:

Georgia Law prescribes that it is every pet owners responsibility to maintain control over their animal at all times. That is in all 159 counties, inside the town limits, out in the country, in very rural area, anywhere in the State. Maintaining control of your pet is viewed as a leash, a fenced in area , a wire dog run, a chain or a really well trained dog under direct supervision of the owner.
As soon as that dog runs off the owners property they have lost control of the pet and are responsible for any damages that result. There have been some really big judgements against irresponsible dog owners when they run off the property and attack people walking down the road. This is especially true if it has been a problem in the past and nothing was done. This is one reason you want to get every attack on record with the county animal control folks. They keep up with this stuff and really dislike owners that don't deal with viscous dogs running loose in their county.

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.
I tried my best mick dundee imitation standing up to three chows that were all jumping 6' in the air towards my throat, nothing left of my new bloody armani suit & hartmann leather briefcase as I ran down west paces like richard prior with hair on fire. The owners were two emory doctors, should have sued the .... ... .... .

Back
Top Bottom