• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.

Right thing to do is stand your ground. Don't run. Running triggers the prey drive in a dog and now you have made yourself a toy to chase and catch. Stand your ground and loudly yell at the dog to stop and GET! Most dogs will lose interest quick. Once again it's the owner that's the problem. The dog will pay the ultimate price for the owner's stupidity.

I had a really friendly Lab when I was a teen. He attacked the neighbor's cocker spaniel. I beat that Lab with all I had using a 6-foot 2x4 and he didn't blink. Just kept attacking.

I also had the smallest miniature Dachshund anyone's ever seen. He hated horses. He broke free and attacked some horses on a polo field. Another time he broke free and attacked a rugby scrum. Not playing, it was an attack.

In attack mode, a dog doesn't have cognizance of it's size, relative power, or mortality, and sometimes doesn't feel the pain.

I love dogs, and would try the least lethal solution first, but . . . .

I doubt she was big enough to kill me but she definitely could have taken a few chunks out of me. Especially while I was wearing gym shorts. I didn't want to find out where she was going to bite first but she definitely wasn't playing around.
What kind of holster do you run with? I’m looking for one

What kind of holster do you run with? I’m looking for one

A worn out leather pocket holster that came with the gun when I traded a revolver for it over 10 years ago. I put it in a ziploc sandwich bag to protect it from sweat and then stck it in my waistband on my right hip. I then wrap an old leather belt around my waist to hold it tight while I'm running. A crude set up but very effective and it gets the job done. And apparently I don't have any trouble drawing it in a hurry in an emergency

I guess I would be walking to the front door of the neighbor's house with a smoking gun to inform them of their dead dog. I really don't think your driveway makes a great safe space just like my job's break room where masks are completely ignored. That's just me though. IDK

I would never allow Thor to run free, but I assure you with 100% confidence that if you were to start swinging a 3 foot piece of garden hose at him it would make his ****ing day. Y'all gonna be playing tug of war and you'll probably wear out first.

Some of these suggestions are just plain silly. If ever there was a perfect tool for a job, it's pepper spray for keeping away unwanted dogs. Swinging bats and hoses at them is just gonna escalate the situation.
hose and pepper spray are just a suggestion.... I'm more than likely going for the heavy artillery

I'm just reading all these arm chair theories and responses saying they'd have done this or that and thinking, aside from the few professional dog trainers we have in this thread who are giving great advice, and the few of us who've actually been on the receiving end of a dog attack, how so many here don't really have a clue.

Dog attacks happen pretty quickly. You don't always get a warning it's about to happen so you can have your weapon out and ready. Dogs are fast, and strong as ****. Even small dogs when in fight mode can whip a grown man's ass. Dogs have incredibly high pain thresholds. My lab once ran straight through a 2x4 on my kids wooden swing set chasing a ball. His block head snapped that damn thing and he kept going and brought the ball back. He was fine, but I had to replace that 2x4.

Anyways, good luck if you think you're going to stick fight it or whack it with a belt. Once it sinks it's teeth in to you, you're going to be shocked at how damn much a dog bite hurts. And you'll also be surprised how bad your aim is with adrenaline pumping when you're trying to empty a mag with your off hand because it already tore up your shooting arm. :lol:

If you don't believe that, just watch how fast a police dog takes down a grown man when the cops can't. People just crumble when that hair missile comes at them.

My Lilly loves everyone but I dont give her the opportunity to act out when in front area its a short leash and conversation with anyone who wants to approach her,cause she gonna love on you. Axe OttomanView attachment 3410968

Lilly damn near kills me every time I see her with all that licking and loving she give me.

Trailrider Trailrider im calling BS on trailriders statement…I have video PROOF of me whooping a dogs ass. I believe it was a german Shepard of some kind.

66D5DA82-C700-408D-97BF-CBD278B1E07A.gif

7E8CD82D-0D1C-43EF-94D9-26C1011AC914.gif

Back
Top Bottom